RESOUR> American Routes "Words and music"

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:14:24 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

American Routes this week  "Words and music"

Words and Music
 From creation to criticism, American Routes explores the relationship between
language and sounds, words and music. Rock and roll originator Chuck Berry,
alt .country traditionalist Gillian Welch, and New Yorker music writer and
novelist Nick Hornby (High Fidelity) give a variety of perspectives on the
subject. With a mix of celebrated songwriters, storytellers, and literary
heroes in American music.
All on American Routes, your locally produced, nationally syndicated weekly
public radio program devoted to music and culture from New Orleans, the Gulf
South and America beyond.

TECHNOLOGY AND THE PERFORMING ARTS
Would you like to give your teachers a resource
where they can find out how to integrate the Internet
with General Performing, Cool Stuff, Dance, Theater,
Circus, Costumes, Vaudeville / Burlesque,
Playground / Amusements, and Special Events / Festivals
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Arts/resources2.html>

Folklorists take note: issues of oral tradition creation and popular use and
appropriation, as well as reshaping of popular music within communities, are
raised in this program.

See below for the play list.  Also visit www.americanroutes.org to find a
station and broadcast time near you.
-----
Hour One
"Roll Over Beethoven" Chuck Berry
"Write Me A Few Lines" Mississippi Fred McDowell
-----
"Cold Dog Soup" Guy Clark
"When I Paint My Masterpiece" Emmylou Harris
"She Belongs to Me" Bob Dylan
-----
"Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz"
-----
SEGMENT: Chuck Berry
<http://www.amroutes.com/ram/AR_0202CBerry.ram>
-----
Clip from film "Hail, Hail, Rock 'n' Roll" (Universal)
"Cadillac Ranch" Bruce Springsteen
Clip from film "Hail, Hail, Rock 'n' Roll" (Universal)
"Carol" Rolling Stones
-----
"Under My Thumb" Pickin' On The Rolling Stones (bluegrass)
-----
"Tongue Tied Jill" Charlie Feathers
"My Mumblin Baby" Rudy Green
"Mumbles" Clark Terry with Oscar Peterson Trio
-----
"History of Bop" Jack Kerouac
with "Hey! Ba-Ba-Re-Bop" Lionel Hampton; "Bloomdido" "Relaxing With Lee"
Charlie Parker; "Skippy" Thelonious Monk; and "Salt Peanuts" Dizzy Gillespie
-----
Hour Two
"I Could Write a Book" Sarah Vaughan & Quincy Jones
"It Ain't Necessarily So" Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson
-----
"Try a Little Tenderness" Otis Redding
-----
"Moses Smote The Water" Golden Gate Quartet
"Six And Seven Books of Moses" Toots and the Maytals
"Forgive Them Father" Lauryn Hill
-----
"The Sidewinder" The Lee Morgan Quintet
-----
SEGMENT: Nick Hornby
-----
"The Man Who Couldn't Cry" Johnny Cash
"Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key" (Woody Guthrie) Billy Bragg & Wilco
-----
"Just Another Sucker On The Vine" Tom Waits
-----
SEGMENT: Gillian Welch
-----
"Your Cheatin' Heart" Patsy Cline
"The Song is Ended but the Melody Lingers On" Dinah Washington