[ECP] NetHappenings Newsletter - Resources and Headlines

  • From: "K.E." <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 16:03:53 -0400

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
[ECP] Educational CyberPlayGround NetHappenings Mailing List copyright 1989
Located on the Blog Educational CyberPlayGround Blog:
http://blog.edu-cyberpg.com/
SIGN UP and GET POSTS DELIVERED TO YOUR EMAIL

*Link to the Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

*Subscribe to the ECP Blog Feed:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/EducationalCyberPlayGround

*Find your School in the ECP K-12 School Directory
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/schools/
<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>

RIP Steve Jobs

Just speaking for myself ...
as an author, publisher of text and online media, teacher, tech user, web dev person and admin of NetHappenings

There's A big question when it comes to curriculum in schools - and the choices regarding what to leave in and what to take out the core curriculum. For those of you with kids who have to decide to put your kid in a public or private, charter, or online school with the hopes that they will go to college one day ....

I think it's best to watch this wonderful, wonderful video when Steve Jobs talk about his life in 2005
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Teachers/standards.html

I feel people are in morning for a person that they feel did something right in this country. Who else comes to mind that makes you feel that way? His grew his company to be as big as exxon. Was Jobs also evil? That's another discussion about Fair Trade.

But in my life I've had the privilege to know some of the Internet pioneers, and like the giants who come before us, Steve may not have invented electricity but he knew what to do with it.

~Karen Ellis
Educational CyberPlayGround ®
www.edu-cyberpg.com

--//--

Steve Jobs has definitely been underappreciated in the tech community.

What this represented was the fight for creative control. In Hollywood everybody wants creative control and it's not an ideological issue. In Silicon Valley, the technical guys think they should have creative control but so do the business guys. Most of the business guys don't know enough, but Jobs knew more than enough.

He didn't invent anything, but his taste and judgment in selecting what others came up with, and unifying it all, created a user world of elegance and charm. In this I think he should be compared to Walt Disney, who likewise put together the contributions of others into unique completions that only he imagined.

And as at the Disney organization, the music and corporate image will go on without him, but the soul will not.

~ Ted Nelson
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Culdesac/hypertxt.html

--//--

For A Dancer

"I don't know what happens when people die
Can't seem to grasp it as hard as I try
Like a song I can hear playing right in my ear
That I can't sing
I can't help listening"

If Steve Jobs were alive, he'd be going to work.

Because the mission was just that important. There were no excuses, nothing could hold you back.

That's just one of the many lessons Steve taught us. Go for greatness and never give up.

And unlike the athletes he was not one-dimensional, there was no expiration date on his career, he kept on keepin' on, disproving conventional wisdom at every turn.

There are no second acts?

Huh?

No one knows anything in the movie business?

Then how come each and every Pixar movie was a blockbuster?

Steve did it his own way, and that's why we revere him. He was like the rock stars of yore, beholden to no one. The rules didn't apply to him.

But unlike Hendrix and Joplin and so many musical legends, Steve didn't O.D. He hung on. And went out at the top of his game.

Huh?

That's not the American story. Usually way past your prime we give you another go 'round, another shot of publicity, a thank you for past efforts. Look at today's Tony Bennett hype for example. Does anybody believe this duets record is worth listening to? Does it compare to his best work?

Don't make me laugh.

But the iPad was an even bigger triumph than the iPod, which eclipsed the iMac. Steve just kept getting better and better. It's as if the Beatles never broke up and every few years they dropped another album that made our jaws drop.

Meanwhile, people are tearing you down. They don't like dominance. John Lennon is revered now, but people were saying he was toast before he was tragically shot. It's hard to soldier on in the face of all that naysaying, it's hard to go your own way, it's hard to stay the course.

But Steve did.

I'll read the biography, but I really want Malcolm Gladwell to do a book, to explain how this happened.

Was it the adoption?

Was the success of his second tenure at Apple due to his being blown out a decade before?

I can usually see the thread. But not with Steve Jobs. He was sui generis.

And he touched everybody.

This is not only my pain, this is the whole world's pain. Eclipsing the death of any rock star, akin only to the death of JFK.

It's almost sacrilegious to be typing. This is his machine. Without him...

My life would be much less rich.

He willed himself to live through Tuesday's presentation.

Then his work was done.

But he lived so long after stepping down as CEO we all had a glimmer of hope, that maybe he could continue to make it.

So I was shocked when I looked at my phone and read that he passed.

I called my girlfriend, my best friend, I needed to touch humanity, I had more questions than answers.

And I still do.

It feels like a death in the family.

Last night I had no words.

And right now I barely do. My beacon...the light has gone out.

"Keep a fire for the human race
Let your prayers go drifting into space
You never know what will be coming down
Perhaps a better world is drawing near
Just as easy it could all disappear
Along with whatever meaning you might have found
Don't let the uncertainty turn you around
(The world keeps turning around and around)
Go on and make a joyful sound"

"For A Dancer" Jackson Browne
Spotify: http://bit.ly/qNcvD5

~ Bob Lefsetz

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
Educational CyberPlayGround NetHappenings  ©1989
NetHappenings: the largest and oldest K-12 Education Mailing List
Email Preferences -- Subscribe - Unsubscribe - Digest
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/NetHappenings.html

Copyright FAIR USE Statements to be included when reproducing
annotations from NetHappenings.

The single phrase below is the copyright notice to be used when
reproducing any portion of this report, in any format:

***
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND http://www.edu-cyberpg.com
NetHappenings Mailing List ©1989
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/Nethappenings.html