[ECP] NetHappenings Headlines and Resources 1

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:23:24 -0500 (EST)

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,ø¤º

Please link to the Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Add your SCHOOL OR SCHOOL DISTRICT URL
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/schools/

Please Share and Add Your Song
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ncfr/

Educatonal CyberPlayGround NetHappenings Mailing List ©1993

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,ø¤º

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,ø¤º

Please link to the Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Add your SCHOOL OR SCHOOL DISTRICT URL
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/schools/

Please Share and Add Your Song
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ncfr/

Educatonal CyberPlayGround NetHappenings Mailing List ©1993

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,ø¤º

Greetings,

Happy reading for today.

best,
<Karen>

1)
Football and Brain Damage? Yes it's very true.
What should parents and schools do to protect everyone?
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/18/sports/football/18waters.html
Expert Ties Ex-Player's Suicide to Brain Damage
former National Football League player Andre Waters killed
himself in November, an explanation for his suicide has remained
a mystery. But after examining remains of Mr. Waters's brain,
a neuropathologist in Pittsburgh is claiming that Mr. Waters had
sustained brain damage from playing football and he says that
led to his depression and ultimate death.
The neuropathologist, Dr. Bennet Omalu of the University of Pittsburgh,
a leading expert in forensic pathology, determined that Mr. Waters's
brain tissue had degenerated into that of an 85-year-old man with
similar characteristics as those of early-stage Alzheimer's victims.
Dr. Omalu said he believed that the damage was either caused or
drastically expedited by successive concussions Mr. Waters, 44,
had sustained playing football.

2)
New York City 911 to accept images
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/18/nyregion/18cameras.html says that New
York City is planning to upgrade its 911 and 311 (non-emergency city
services) numbers to accept images sent from cell phone cameras and the
like.

3)
Breach affects 79,000 MoneyGram accounts
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/16450376.htm
MoneyGram International Inc., which wires money and provides electronic
bill paying, said Friday computer hackers may have stolen personal data
on about 79,000 customers.

4)
Inside the Ring: NDU hacked
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070112-123024-8199r.htm
Computers and information networks at the National Defense University
(NDU), the Joint Chiefs military education school at Fort McNair in
Washington, were hacked and damaged by unknown attackers, defense
officials said.

5)
E-security in Vietnam shaken by crimes
http://english.vietnamnet.vn/biz/2007/01/654412/
According to VNCERT (the Vietnam Computer Emergency Respond Team at the
Ministry of Post and Telecommunications), a series of 2006 online
attacks seriously threatened e-commerce in Vietnam.

6)
Botnet herders face jailtime
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2172694/botnet-herders-face-jailtime
Authorities are seeking jailterms of up to 3 years against two botnet
operators who alleged to have commanded a network of 1.5m computers.

7)
Feds offer cybercrime tips to local cops
http://news.com.com/Feds+offer+cybercrime+tips+to+local+cops/2100-1028_3-6150676.html
Police trying to learn how to use the Internet to investigate everything
from cyberstalking to spam and illegal hacking have some new advice,
thanks to the U.S. Department of Justice.

8)
Our Data Went Where?
http://www.cio.com/archive/011507/fea_tec.html
Aflac had to get its smart phone
house in order not only to reduce management complexity but also to meet
federal requirements around data management and security. Aflac's
ultimate strategy: Ban all non-company-issued handhelds from connecting
to enterprise servers and computers, lock down PCs so
handheld-synchronization software couldn't be installed by users, and
forbid the use of POP3 and SMTP e-mail access to the corporate network
so wireless Internet users couldn't sneak in the back door. Aflac also
decided to rely on a mobile e-mail server to manage both e-mail access
and the handhelds themselves, and ensure automatic installation of
firmware patches and enforcement of password policies. This strategy is
common in the financial services sector, with similar policies currently
in use at Citigroup's Primerica subsidiary, Farmers & Merchants Bank,
IndyMac Bank and Russell Investment Group, among others.

9)
Computer Privacy in Distress
http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,72510-0.html
By Jennifer Granick
My laptop computer was purchased by Stanford, but my whole life is
stored on it. I have e-mail dating back several years, my address book
with the names of everyone I know, notes and musings for various work
and personal projects, financial records, passwords to my blog, my web
mail, project and information management data for various organizations
I belong to, photos of my niece and nephew and my pets.
In short, my computer is my most private possession. I have other things
that are more dear, but no one item could tell you more about me than
this machine.
Yet, a rash of recent court decisions says the Constitution may not be
enough to protect my laptop from arbitrary, suspicionless and
warrantless examination by the police.
At issue is the Fourth Amendment, which protects individuals from
unreasonable searches and seizures by government agents. As a primary
safeguard against arbitrary and capricious searches, property seizures
and arrests, the founding fathers required the government to first seek
a warrant from a judge or magistrate.

10)
Coast Guard IT controls leave TSA data vulnerable
http://www.fcw.com/article97377-01-17-07-Web
Information technology management problems at the U.S. Coast Guard are
causing concerns about the Transportation Security Administration's
financial and operational data, according to an inspector general's
report [1].
The agency has made some gains since an earlier audit by the IG's
office, but more needs to be done, according to the report. Until that
happens, the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the TSA data
cannot be assured, the report states.

11)
TJX says it suffered computer systems intrusion' customer data stolen
http://tinyurl.com/39b7b7
TJX Cos., operator of T.J. Maxx and Marshalls discount stores, said
Wednesday its computer systems were hacked late last year and customer
data has been stolen.

12)
CIBC loses info on 470,000 Canadians
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070118.wcibc0118/BNStory/Business/home
The personal information of nearly half-a-million customers at a CIBC
mutual fund subsidiary has gone missing, prompting fears of a potential
security breach and inciting an investigation from Canada's federal
privacy commissioner.
A backup computer file containing application data for 470,000 investors
at Montreal-based Talvest Mutual Funds disappeared in transit on the way
to Toronto recently, the bank said in a news release Thursday.

13)
Does your mom know how to use the internet? If not
you can sit her down in front of this page to get here started.
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Read_This_First.html

14)
Swedish bank hit by 'biggest ever' online heist
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39285547,00.htm
Swedish bank Nordea has told ZDNet UK that it has been stung for between
seven and eight million Swedish krona up to 580,000 in what security
company McAfee is describing as the "biggest ever" online bank heist.
Over the last 15 months, Nordea customers have been targeted by emails
containing a tailormade Trojan, said the bank.
Nordea believes that 250 customers have been affected by the fraud,
after falling victim to phishing emails containing the Trojan. According
to McAfee, Swedish police believe Russian organised criminals are behind
the attacks. Currently, 121 people are suspected of being involved.

15)
Honours probe police hacked No10 computers
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/21/npeers21.xml
Detectives in the cash-for-honours inquiry were forced to "hack" into
Downing Street computers in the search for evidence, The Sunday
Telegraph has discovered.
Police used computer experts to obtain confidential material, and are
also believed to have approached Number 10's internet suppliers to gain
access to government email records.
Scotland Yard became suspicious that potentially vital information was
being withheld after it twice asked Downing Street for all emails,
letters and other material relating to the system of awarding peerages.
Concerns grew among officers that there had been a cover-up.

16)
Generation Next
http://people-press.org/reports/pdf/300.pdf
The report is divided into four main sections:
(1) Outlook and World View, (2) Technology and Lifestyle,
(3) Politics and Policy, and (4) Values and Social Issues.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
Educational CyberPlayGround NetHappenings Mailing List ©1993
NetHappenings: the largest and oldest K12 Education Mailing List
Email Preferences -- Subscribe - Unsubscribe - Digest
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/NetHappenings.html

Copyright FAIR USE Statements to be included when reproducing
annotations from NetHappenings.

The single phrase below is the copyright notice to be used when
reproducing any portion of this report, in any format:

EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND http://www.edu-cyberpg.com
NetHappenings copyright