MISC> Assessing Online Teaching and Learning

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:22:46 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

CREATING LEARNING COMMUNITIES
"The Coaltion for Self-Learning is a collective of autonomous
individuals and groups each working independently but in
mutual aid to help one another promote ideas and actions
for creating learning communities and their relevance to
social change. It's goals and purposes are to envision a world
without schools -- a world of cooperative community life-long
learning centers. CHECK US OUT.
http://www.creatinglearningcommunities.org/

An Invitation to Contribute a chapter to a book on
Assessing Online Teaching and Learning

Dr. Comeaux is looking for additional authors to contribute to a collection
of essays about assessing online teaching and learning.
looking for contributors who want to address the challenges and benefits of
assessing online teaching and learning either from a formative or summative
perspective or both.  If interested, send a detailed abstract proposal for a
chapter contribution of your experiences and knowledge of assessing online
teaching and/or learning.  Rather than an extensive review of literature or
a research study, the contributed chapters of this book should focus on
descriptive and pragmatic examples of how to "do online assessment."
Send abstract proposal to email address (below) no later than April 10,
2003.

Frame and Direction of Book:
We know, from experience and from the research literature, that successful
online teaching and learning involves computer-mediated communication
processes in which students and teachers are actively and reciprocally
engaged in the process of knowledge construction, creating and sharing
meaning, theory-based applications and situational problem solving.
Thus, as educators we must critically assess the characteristics and the
quality of these valued and known processes of online learning.  In other
words, we must develop assessment tools that will evaluate the processes of
learning in which students are actively engaged in thinking reflectively and
critically as well as problem-solving with others of like-minded knowledge
and interest.  In essence, we must focus on assessment processes as well as
outcomes.

 As in my previous volume (see <http://www.ankerpub.com/books/comeaux.html>,
I will provide an introductory chapter which will frame the book and provide
an overview of the issues. The nature of this topic requires a
multi-disciplinary coverage; thus I will be including chapters from
contributors who will represent a cross-section of disciplines in higher
education. The target audience for this book will be faculty, graduate
students, administrators, and scholars in higher education. Because of the
multi-disciplinary and comprehensive approach to this book, it should prove
valuable to a wide range of readers.

Contact:
Patricia Comeaux, Professor
Department of Communication Studies
University of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW)
Wilmington, North Carolina 28403-5933
(910) 962-3265
comeauxp@xxxxxxxx