K12> The parent report card

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:27:01 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

AP story on the serious consideration of a Pennsylvania district
adopting a "parent report card".
http://www.thewgalchannel.com/learningmatters/1956816/detail.html

'School May Grade Parents
A Learning Matters Report
POSTED: 5:21 p.m. EST February 4, 2003
UPDATED: 5:40 p.m. EST February 4, 2003
LEBANON, Pa. -- One Susquehanna Valley school district is proposing grading
parents on helping their children learn.

Original Story
http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/02/06/grading.parents.ap/index.html
LEBANON, Pa. - Come fall, Gino Vargas and other parents of schoolchildren in
this city could be getting report cards of their own. The school system's
superintendent is proposing that parents be graded on how involved they are
in their chil­dren's education.

Vargas said he cares deeply about his 4-year-old son and has no problem with
the proposal, believed to be one of the first of its kind.

"If you take care of your kids, it'll show in the report," Vargas said
recently as little Dante waited in the car for the trip home from Harding
Elementary. "My dad was there for me.  I need to be there for my son."

<snip>

Education News:
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/News/news.html>