K12> Kidlink in Russian

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:29:58 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:02:44 +0200
From: Odd de Presno <presno@xxxxxxx>

April 3, 2003:

Visitors can now click at "Russian" on Kidlink's top page for information
in Russian, a language spoken by over 277 million people in 30 countries
around the world.

Kidlink is a global network acting to empower kids and youth using
educational programs freely available through the Internet. People speaking
Russian as a first language have been active on the network since 1990, but
this is the first time they can do it in their own language.

The first module of Who-Am-I? is also available in Russian. This
eight-month, multi-lingual educational program is an agenda for discussions
guiding students         to knowledge about themselves, their place, rights,
friends, families, roots, and brings them in contact with peers around the
world. It has 389 suggested questions and 244 activities, - but no answers.

Teachers in many Russian speaking countries are now being trained in the
use of Kidlink's programs, and their students are submitting their
want to be when I grow up? How do I want the world to be better when I grow
up? What can I do now to make this happen?

To read some of their students' views on today and tomorrow, visit
Kidlink's public RESPONSE area at
http://listserv.nodak.edu/archives/response.html. Browse by week, or select
by searching for responses from a given area. For example, put "Ukraine" in
the "The subject is or contains:" box, and "1 January 2003" in the "Since:"
box, then "Start the search!".

Volunteers in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Moldova,
Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan have done the translations, while
work has been coordinated under         the Internet Access and Training Program
(IATP). IATP is a program of the Bureau of Educational & Cultural Affairs
(ECA), US Department of State, and is funded under the US Freedom Support
Act (FSA).

The International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX) administers IATP and
its access sites in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia,
Kazakhstan,         Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and
Uzbekistan.
Through these sites, thousands of individuals per month receive
free-of-charge access to the Internet, a wide variety of computer-related
training programs, and Web content development assistance.

Raisa Kraeva has been appointed manager of Kidlink's Russian language
activities. She works as a teacher in Odessa, Ukraine, and has used Kidlink
with her students since September 1992. Seach for "Raisa" in the search box
at http://www.kidlink.org to see some of the things she's been active in.

A new Russian language discussion forum is currently being tested, and is
planned to be made public soon.

LINKS:
The online version of this release:
http://www.kidlink.org/english/general/press/irex.html
Russian, the language: http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=RUS
The first Who-am-I? module in Russian:
http://www.kidlink.org/kie/nls/russian/response/index.html
IATP: http://www.irex.org/programs/iatp/about/index.asp
Photo of Raisa Kraeva: http://www.kidlink.org/english/society/russian.html

FREE CLIP ART
Do your Students, Teachers, Administrators, Tech Eds
need to know where to go for great online resources
for the arts? Integrate the arts into the classroom.
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Arts/websites.html>