K12> ATF permits for kids

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:27:50 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

From: Steve <uriel1998@xxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: misc.education.home-school.misc
Subject: News:  ATF permits for kids
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:17:40 -0500

KID'S PAGE
Be the first in your block to understand Form 5110.74

[From the ATF Kids' Page]

Hey, Kids!

Q. Have you heard about the science fair project or school project where
a student:

- Builds a homemade still,
- Lets leftover food scraps ferment and turn into alcohol,
- Burns the alcohol in a lantern, and
- Compares the alcohol to other sources of energy?

A. Well, under current law and regulations, we cannot allow you to
conduct experiments involving distillation of alcohol at your home. As
an alternative, Federal law allows us to issue a permit for an alcohol
fuel plant, or AFP. Under this type of permit, experiments with alcohol
fuels can be conducted at locations properly qualified with ATF.

Here's what has to be done:

- An authorized representative of your school (a teacher or other school
official) must complete and forward an application form 5110.74 to us to
establish a small AFP at your school.

- The experiment must be conducted at your school under appropriate
adult supervision.

- The school official must tell us how long the experiment will last.
They may allow for additional time in case your experiment is selected
for additional competition or display at a regional or area science
fair. And,

- The school official must describe the adult supervision that will be
provided. We require this because we are concerned about the safety of
children handling hazardous materials and using distillation equipment
with alcohol-even with adult supervision. These steps apply primarily to
students who are in elementary through high school. Make sure your
application is filed as soon as possible to allow enough time for us to
process it. You cannot begin the experiment until we issue you a permit.
Application form 5110.74 and additional information are available from
the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, National Revenue Center,
Spirits Unit A, 550 Main Street, Room 8002, Cincinnati, OH 45202-3263,
1-800-398-2282 or (513) 684-7150, natlrevctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.atf.treas.gov/kids/faq.htm

Steve

TECHNOLOGY AND THE PERFORMING ARTS
Would you like to give your teachers a resource
where they can find out how to integrate the Internet
with General Performing, Cool Stuff, Dance, Theater,
Circus, Costumes, Vaudeville / Burlesque,
Playground / Amusements, and Special Events / Festivals
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Arts/resources2.html>