Jef Raskin dies; Originator of Macintosh

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:14:25 -0500

All Mailing Lists
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

From: Dave Burstein
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 06:36:51 -0500
Subject: Jef Raskin dies; Originator of Macintosh

     We lost one of the great ones today, a good and generous man.

     Jef Raskin died of cancer this evening, after being sick for several
months. A wonderful spirit and renaissance man, who inspired me and many
others. He created the Macintosh project at Apple in 1979, naming it after
his personal favorite fruit He left Apple to form Information Appliances,
where he designed the Canon Cat with an innovative interface. He continued
refining human interface design, publishing his ideas in   The Humane
Interface (Addison Wesley, 2000.) The Humane Interface ideas are being
implemented in the Raskin Center project Archy, where is son, Aza, is a
programmer.

    His artwork was displayed at New York's Museum of Modern Art. He
conducted the San Francisco Chamber Opera Society and wrote the score for a
movie, "Smog Patterns," shown on PBS.  He has a patent for a "Construction
Technique for an Airplane Wing," and was a noted model airplane designer, an
accomplished archer, and an occasional race car driver.

Website is http://jef.raskincenter.org/home/index.html .There is also a
collection of photographs and history at
http://www.digibarn.com/friends/jef-raskin/index.html
Jennie Bourne and I are in the midst of making a movie about him
<http://www.jefthemovie.com/>  .

His wife, Linda writes.
Dear Friends,
Jef died this evening, surrounded by friends and family, with some favorite
music playing.  While I am
overcome by a profound sense of sadness and am not looking forward the days,
weeks and years ahead
without him, I am also relieved that he did not suffer for a long time and
that he is at peace and no longer
in pain. There will be a memorial service, time and date to be determined.

    Dave Burstein

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Copyright statements to be included when reproducing
annotations from Nethappenings.

The single phrase below is the copyright notice to be used when
reproducing any portion of this report, in any format.

> From NetHappenings copyright
> Educational CyberPlayGround.
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/NetHappenings.html

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/

HOT LIST REGISTRY OF K12 SCHOOLS ONLINE