[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 13, No. 5

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Wiggio.com" <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 23:33:43 -0500 (EST)

.

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:37:13 -0600
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 13, No. 5

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 13, No. 5

January  31, 2014

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the

Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Editor's note: It's cold.

Activities and Exercises

Aggression: Why people drive aggressively and how to prevent it

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/ 2013/november-13/teaching-current-directions- in-psychological-science-7.html#driving

Another good activity from DeWall and Myers

Attraction & Relationships: Can romance be rational?

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/ observer/2014/january-14/teaching-current-directions- in-psychological-science-9.html#one

A few good activities from Myers and DeWall

Social Judgment: Why smart people make not-so-smart judgments

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/ observer/2013/october-13/teaching-current-directions- in-psychological-science-6.html#judgments

Sponsored by DeWall and Myers -- Were you the victim of the myside bias?  Suffering from dysrationalia?  Call DeWall and Myers!

Social Judgment: Making accurate interpersonal judgments with "zero acquaintance"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/ 2013/december-13/teaching-current-directions-
in-psychological-science-8.html#acquaintance

That means having never met a person.  A fun activity using reality TV.  You may have to explain what that is to your students.  Oh wait, the other way around.

The Self: Fast thinking feels good

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/ 2013/october-13/teaching-current-directions-in-psychological- science-6.html#thinking

Just off their latest stint in Vegas, here's another activity from DeWall and Myers

Articles

Attraction: "Disease threats predict preferences for physically attractive leaders"

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzfeNsuwQr24QnJid0hpVHdHMHM/edit?pli=1

General: Human social genomics

http://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/~hilmert/SPRG/SPRGPapers/Slavich_2013.pdf

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/ publications/observer/2013/may-june-13/social-
experiences-affect-our-genes-and-health.html

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/ publications/observer/2013/december-13/mapping-mindsets.html

"Although we generally experience our bodies as being biologically stable across time and situations, an emerging field of research is demonstrating that

external social conditions, especially our subjective perceptions  of those conditions, can influence our most basic internal biological processes --

namely, the expression of our genes."  The first link is to the research article; the second is to a press release about it.  The third link is to an

article on cultural neuroscience which also addresses this interaction of genes and the social world.

Examples

Gender and Culture: Double standards

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014/01/21/3187181/ female-tennis-player-reaches-australian-open-semis-asked-man-date/

"Female tennis player reaches Australian Open semis, is asked what man she wants to date."

Prejudice: Institutional racism

http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnstanton/ some-republicans-see-racism-as-a-factor-in-immigration-stale

A U.S. congressman acknowledges that race plays a role in immigration reform debate.

Prejudice: Institutional racism

http://americablog.com/2014/01/russian-newspaper-editor-fined-quoting-gay-person-article.html

"Russian newspaper editor fined for quoting gay person in article."  Well, actually he was fined for quoting a gay person in the wrong way.  The article did not present homosexuality as deviant.  That violates a new law.  As one official said, "Such a claim violates the laws of logic. By presenting it to readers who are minors, the author leads them into error about the normalcy of homosexuality. Following the logic of the author, you could recognize the existence of maniacs, serial killers, etc. as normal and even effective."

Topic Resources

Aggression: Biology and aggression

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/ publications/observer/2014/january-14/naturally-nasty.html

A good article describing research on genetic and biological influences on hostile behavior, including some possible remedies

Aggression/Helping: Can game role playing shape later behavior?

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/ were-only-human/whos-your-avatar-good-and-evil-in-the-gaming-world.html

Does playing Lord Voldemort increase your aggression? Yes.  Does playing Superman increase your generosity? Yes.  So, I have to ask.  If you were turned into a character in a video game, what behavior would the player engage in after playing you?

Attraction & Relationships: Social warmth linked to physical warmth

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/ observer/obsonline/the-heartwarming-nature-of-social-bonds.html

More embodied cognition research -- can drinking that warm cup of coffee increase your social connection to others?

Genes, Gender, & Culture: Gender differences in the brain

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/02/men-women-brains-wired-differently

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/12/ getting-in-a-tangle-over-men-and-womens-brain-wiring/

Your students may have seen this research on apparent brain differences between males and females in the news.  The first link describes that research and claims made from it.  The second link is to an article that is a rather strong critique of the research, the claims, and the media portrayal of it all.

H/T to Marianne Miserandino

Genes, Gender, & Culture: Barbie is just fine the way she is

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/justina-sharp/post_6626_b_4596855.html

A 16-year-old girl explains why she doesn't think the Barbie doll should be changed at all.  Do your students agree?

Genes, Gender, & Culture: "Not a single female student took the AP computer science test in two states"

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2014/01/14/3160181/test-girls-race/

Can you guess them?

Genes, Gender, & Culture: "How one state plans to wipe out sexism at work in a single bill"

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/01/31/3231891/minnesota-women-package/

Can you guess which one?  They are proposing a bundle of initiatives including increasing the minimum wage, paid sick leave, and better access to childcare.

Genes, Gender, & Culture/Prejudice: "Girls underperform when they play chess against boys"

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2014/01/ girls-underperform-when-they-play-chess.html

First evidence of stereotype threat in children?  Interesting study.

Helping: Prosocial media and video games positively influence behavior across cultures

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/ obsonline/prosocial-media-linked-with-empathy-across-cultures.html

Helping: Extraordinary altruism; What prompts it?

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/ were-only-human/extraordinary-altruism-who-gives-a-kidney.html

Would you donate a kidney to a stranger?  Perhaps if you feel better off, according to this research (or, if you live in Utah)

Persuasion: Do rational arguments work?

http://mindhacks.com/2014/01/17/ whats-the-evidence-on-using-rational-argument-to-change-peoples-minds/

Well, you are going to have to wait to find out.  I have included this item because it describes a very interesting way writers are getting funded to write through a site called Contributoria.  This person's article topic, "What's the evidence on using rational argument to change people's minds?" has been funded.  So, now he will write it.  And I will let you know when it is ready to read.

Prejudice: Anti-slavery collection

http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/umarmot/antislavery/

"The Antislavery Collection contains several hundred printed pamphlets and books pertaining to slavery and antislavery in New England, 1725-1911. The holdings include speeches, sermons, proceedings and other publications of organizations such as the American Anti-Slavery Society and the American Colonization Society, and a small number of pro-slavery tracts."

Prejudice: Why stereotype threat?

http://www.danielwillingham.com/1/post/2013/11/ whats-behind-stereotype-threat.html

Here is a good summary of recent research suggesting that stereotype threat is not just the result of overloading working memory.  Perhaps it also involves regulatory fit.

Prejudice: 49% of Black males in U.S. arrested by age 23

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/01/07/3130401/ study-half-black-males-arrested-age-23/

38% of White and 44% of Hispanic males have been arrested by age 23, according to a new report.

Prejudice: A simple intervention for first-generation and minority students entering college

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/ were-only-human/whats-a-gpa-when-college-campus-is-a-strange-land.html

It is remarkable to see another brief intervention having meaningful effects.

Social Judgment: "Mindfulness meditation can improve your decision making"

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2014/01/ just-fifteen-minutes-of-mindfulness.html

And just 15 minutes worth

Technology in Teaching

Videos

Gender & Culture: American males (well, all males) are being wussified by feminism (3:37)_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=292rVp8tlic

Helping: Storytelling, neurochemistry, and helping (5:57)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHeqQAKHh3M#t=341

Fascinating little video describing research on how good stories affect our chemistry which affects our behavior.

Prejudice: Don't ask me why (7:10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcfmfaIYWRU#t=398

A good music video that draws parallels between the fight over interracial and LGBT relationships

Psychology in the Courtroom/Social Judgment: The fiction of memory (17:36)

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2013/
may-june-13/social-experiences-affect-our-genes-and-health.html

This a good TedTalk from Elizabeth Loftus.

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses? Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me (jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL 60540

jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2014.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

===============

Jon Mueller