[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 11, No. 8

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports Tourism <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:04:37 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:45:35 -0500
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 11, No. 8

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 11, No. 8

April 30, 2012

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the

Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Good morning.  Here, at least.  Subscriber Raphael Schuster asked if I could locate the handout (15-2) that is mentioned in this activity --

http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/ pubbooks/morris2/chapter15/medialib/demo/10.html

See the instructor's manual listed there.  If anyone has access to that handout could you send me an electronic copy of it?

Thanks.

Subscriber Susan Goldstein and her colleagues have created this excellent new resource: "The Making Connections website (http://makingconnections.redlands.edu), sponsored by the APS Fund for the Teaching and Public Understanding of Psychological Science, was designed to provide instructors with psychological research findings and other scholarly information on specific social issues and assist them, both pedagogically and conceptually, in linking those social issues to the psychological constructs and theories discussed in their classes. The website includes (1) summaries of articles addressing social issues from recent peer-reviewed social science journals, (2) suggestions for 'making connections' between specific research findings and psychological constructs, (3) supplementary podcasts, film clips, and articles, (4) pedagogy-focused resources on curriculum development, classroom activities, teaching strategies, and service learning, and (5) links to professional and non-profit organizations with information on social issues. The website material is searchable by issue as well as relevant psychological construct and addresses such topics as truancy intervention, cultural socialization in transracial adoption, LGB victimization in the military, smartphone technology in behavioral healthcare, disability and childhood violence exposure, manifest ethnic identification in employment situations, global warming beliefs, anti-bullying programs, and resilience among Afghan women."

Activities and Exercises

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/activities.htm

Prejudice: "Reducing mental illness stigma in the classroom"

http://top.sagepub.com/content/39/2/121.full.pdf

The Self: The think positive experiment

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/activities.htm

Examples

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/examples.htm

Attitudes and Behavior: Saying-is-believing effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaCUjmQinXE

Any Bachelor fans out there?  The T.V. show?  Well, if you missed the exciting last season, you missed a very clever use of the saying-is-believing effect.  As seen in this video clip, contestant Courtney lures Bachelor Ben into a mock wedding ceremony.  She also convinces him to write fake wedding vows that they then repeat to each other as part of the mock ceremony.  Unfortunately, the video clip does not include the very romantic vows themselves, but you get the idea.  Guess who Bachelor Ben finally proposed to?  Yep, clever Courtney.

Conflict and Peacemaking: Prisoner's Dilemma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qjK3TWZE8#!

Subscriber David Myers pointed me to this game show which apparently forces contestants into a sort of prisoner's dilemma at the end of each game, with communication permitted.  See the very interesting strategy this particular contestant uses.

Persuasion: Credible sources

http://adage.com/article/digital/ consumers-love-apple-s-elitist-celebrity-siri-ads/234426/

Apparently consumers like Samuel L. Jackson and Zooey Deschanel in the new Apple iPhone ads.

Prejudice: Stigmatizing Muslims in America

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/16/ personalizing_civil_liberties_abuses/singleton/

http://loyalopposition.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/ liberty-and-justice-for-non-muslims/?src=tp

Columnist Glenn Greenwald provides good evidence of a second tier treatment of Muslims in the U.S. justice system, and surprisingly little objection to it.  The second link provides another article about it.

Prejudice: Institutional discrimination

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/
report-finds-racial-discrepancies-in-upkeep-of-foreclosed-properties/
2012/04/04/gIQAB7W8vS_story.html?wpisrc=nl_wonk

Report finds racial discrimination in upkeep of foreclosed properties.

Prejudice: Institutional discrimination

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-april-2-2012/ tucson-s-mexican-american-studies-ban

The Daily Show has an amusing take on Arizona's banning of the teaching of ethnic studies in schools.

Articles

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/articles.htm

Social Judgment: "The physical burdens of secrecy"

http://ambadylab.stanford.edu/pubs/Slepian-Masicampo- Toosi-Ambady_Physical-Burdens-of-Secrecy_in-press_JEPG.pdf

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2012/04/secrets-leave-us-physically-encumbered.html

More embodied cognition research -- those who concealed a significant secret were more physically burdened by it.  The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a blog entry about it.

Student Resources

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/student.htm

Study Resources: Social psych quiz

https://sbhs-sbhsd-ca.schoolloop.com/blogdocs

Subscriber Chuck Schallhorn offers this nice vocabulary quiz covering many social psych terms.  Look for the link to "Social Psych Examples Practice," and the key underneath it if you need some help.

Writing Resources: Plagiarism resources

http://www.bowdoin.edu/studentaffairs/academic-honesty/index.shtml

https://www.indiana.edu/~istd/plagiarism_test.html

http://abacus.bates.edu/cbb/quiz/index.html

The first link is to some instruction for students on plagiarism; the second link is to a good plagiarism test students can take; the third link is to a tutorial/self-test for students.

Topic Resources

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/topics.htm

Attitudes and Behavior: "Dead indoor plants strengthen belief in global warming"

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2012/04/ dead-plants-encourage-belief-in-global.html

On the other hand, being exposed to healthy or no plants had no effects on one's beliefs. What about fake healthy or dead plants?  Would a collection can for a global warming that had a picture of a dead plant increase donations?

Attitudes and Behavior: Reduce littering with the smell of cleaning

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2012/03/ passengers-litter-less-on-carriages.html

"A team of Dutch social psychologists has proposed a simple solution to the litter problem on trains - infuse carriages with the citrus scent of cleaning product. Martinijn de Lange and his colleagues made their recommendation after conducting a field experiment in which they concealed seven small containers of cleaning product (spiced up with a little Capitaine perfume oil) in the luggage racks of two carriages on a train travelling between Amersfoort-Schothorst and Enkhuizen, a journey of one hour and forty-four minutes."

Attraction and Relationships: Is cohabitation detrimental to marriage?

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2012/4/24/ fact-checking-cohabitation-and-marriage.html

Dylan Selterman, at Science of Relationships, provides a nice review of the controversy and what the research actually says.

Attraction and Relationships: The U.K.'s most beautiful female face?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2132896/ Florence-Colgate-Girl-Britains-beautiful-face.html

Gender, Genes, & Culture: Inverted objectification of women

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/science-small-talk/201204/ sex-objects-in-world-turned-upside-down

Subscriber Sam Sommers describes this interesting study asking participants to recognize right-side-up and inverted images of semi-nude males and females.

Gender, Genes, & Culture: More objectification

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/04/03/457543/whats-wrong- with-this-picture-illustrating-vanity-fairs-women-in-television-article/

General: Cialdini's earlier principles

Long-time subscribers know that I am always fascinated with the history of psychology.  For example, I unearthed the origins of the self-serving bias a few years ago

(http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/origins.htm).  N

Now, an early draft of subscriber Robert Cialdini's principles has been uncovered:

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/
earlycialdini.htm.

Found among the same papers was this list that may reflect a later draft, perhaps from a more confused

period of his life: http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/confusedcialdini.htm.

Methods: "Do psychology findings replicate outside the lab?"

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/ 2012/04/do-psychology-findings-replicate.html

This blog entry discusses a recent comparison of lab and field results.  Overall, the lab findings fared well out in the real world.  However, social psychology was one of the weaker areas.

Prejudice: "Race: Are we so different?"

http://www.understandingrace.org/home.html

An excellent new resource from the American Anthropological Association: "Looking through the eyes of history, science and lived experience, the RACE Project explains differences among people and reveals the reality – and unreality – of race.  The story of race is complex and may challenge how we think about race and human variation, about the differences and similarities among people."  So far, the site contains papers, an extensive bibliography, a few instructional materials, and more.

Psychology in the Courtroom: "Stereotype threat in criminal investigations"

http://makingconnections.redlands.edu/index.php/ stereotype-threat-in-criminal-investigations/

"The author reviewed studies suggesting that police are more likely to misclassify Black suspects than White suspects as guilty. Once this occurs, confirmation bias may lead police to seek information that validates their presumption of guilt, such as focusing on defensive behavior that stems from stereotype threat. The literature also indicated that once a suspect is classified as guilty, police are more likely to use coercive methods, and that the desire to escape from these coercive methods may lead to false confessions."

Social Judgment: We (slightly) prefer the middle option

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/ 2012/04/people-prefer-middle-option.html

In the last issue I presented research on the "last effect" in which participants preferred a fifth chocolate in a taste test better when it was presented as the "last" chocolate as opposed to the "next" chocolate.  In an array though, as opposed to a series of experiences, it appears we have a slight preference for the middle item.

The Self: "8 ways that money can buy happiness"

http://www.bakadesuyo.com/8-ways-that-money-can-buy-happiness

From Dan Gilbert

The Self: Revising your story

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/03/revising.aspx

"University of Virginia psychologist Timothy D. Wilson, PhD, is fascinated by the stories people tell themselves to make sense of the world. Those personal narratives, he says, can make the difference between living a healthy, productive life—or not. But the question is: How can we alter those narratives to enact positive, lasting change?"

Technology in Teaching

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/technology.htm

Audio

Attraction and Relationships: The secret of pronouns

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/04/30/151550273/ to-predict-dating-success-the-secrets-in-the-pronouns

NPR interviews James Pennebaker about his fascinating research on the use of pronouns and their relationship to dating.

Images

General: Posters/images of psychology from Flickr photostreams

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psychpics/

Video

Aggression/Prejudice: Blaming the victim

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/04/10/461305/stephen-
colbert-to-gays-its-up-to-you-to-keep-us-from-discriminating/

Stephen Colbert, poking fun at some recent comments, provides an amusing take on this as he advises gays "It's up to you to keep us from discriminating."

Attraction and Relationships: Pheromone Parties!

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/
2012/4/25/pheromone-parties-the-sweet-smell-of-a-future-partner.html

This story from the Science of Relationships includes a video clip from the Colbert Report describing a recent dating fad: Attending pheromone parties.

Attraction and Relationships: "Love in a backward world"

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/ home/2012/4/22/love-in-a-backward-world.html

For your entertainment

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses?  Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try

and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them.  Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of?  Particular topics you are interested in?

Teaching tips? Technology tips?  I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs.  So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me (jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL  60540

jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2012.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes.  Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to change subscription options:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/suboptions/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter: Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

North Central College