[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 11, No. 7

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports Tourism <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:13:12 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:16:36 -0500
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 11, No. 7

.

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

.

Vol. 11, No. 7

.

March 31, 2012

The e-mail newsletter accompanying the

Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology

website at

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

[jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu]

.

.

Examples

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/examples.htm

Aggression/Prejudice: Victim-blaming

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201203230002

Geraldo Rivera blames the hoodie, in part, for Trayvon Martin's death.

.

Persuasion: Saying-is-believing effect

http://www.scientificamerican.com/
article.cfm?id=i-really-like-you

If you say you like a random person will you actually like that person more? How do you like this issue so far? Come on, you can tell me.

.

Prejudice: Institutional discrimination

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/03/sports/
in-texas-islamic-schools-face-tough-road-to-participation.html?_r=1

A private Islamic school was denied admission to a Texas association of private and parochial schools.

.

Prejudice/Social Judgment:

Ingroup bias

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/22/
emma-burton-kansas-fan_n_1371020.html?ref=topbar

5-year-old girl refused to color a picture of a Kansas Jayhawk in school. She was a diehard Kansas State fan.

.

Social Judgment: Priming

Subscriber Renee Bator passed along this excellent example: "My son was in kindergarten and his birthday party was two weeks away. My husband and I were trying to decide what type of birthday party to throw for him. We were going for a hike that morning, and we started the hike discussing the pros and cons of different options: pool party at the Y, party at our house, bowling, etc. We continued hiking for some time as I continued to ponder the different options. We came across an abandoned shack with broken glass and beer bottles inside. My husband said, "I bet kids like to party in there." I was horrified!! You couldn't have a birthday party in there!! After several, "What do you means?!" I realized he meant: local high school kids like to 'party' (i.e., drink beer and hang out) in there. I was primed by our discussion and then interpreted his later comment from that perspective."

.

Social Judgment:

Group self-serving bias

http://www.salon.com/2012/03/19/
discussing_the_motives_of_the_afghan_shooter/singleton/

This columnist argues that when the U.S. soldier recently was accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians there were external, uncontrollable causes given for his behavior, but when Muslims kill it is clearly internally caused.

.

Articles

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/articles.htm

.

Aggression/Social

Judgment:

"Holding a gun makes you think others are too"

http://www.nd.edu/~jbrockm1/
WittBrockmole_inPress_JEPHPP.pdf

http://newsinfo.nd.edu/news/29684-holding-a-gun-
makes-you-think-others-are-too-new-research-shows/

The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a press release about it.

.

Group Influence:

Group members discount outside information

http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/~jminson/Site/
PAPERS_files/Minson_&_Mueller_2011.pdf

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/
releases/two-heads-are-not-always-better-than-one.html

"Prior investigators have asserted that certain group characteristics cause group members to disregard outside information and that this behavior leads to diminished performance. We demonstrate that the very process of making a judgment collaboratively rather than individually also contributes to such myopic underweighting of external viewpoints." The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a press release about it.

.

Psychology in the Courtroom:

Physical exertion can weaken eyewitness memory

http://www.alphagalileo.org/
AssetViewer.aspx?AssetId=63182&CultureCode=en

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/
news/releases/just-60-seconds-of-combat-
impairs-memory.html

"Researchers, led by Dr Lorraine Hope of the University of Portsmouth, found that less than 60 seconds of all-out exertion, as might happen when an officer is forced to chase-down a fleeing suspect or engage in a physical battle with a resistant criminal, can seriously impair their ability to remember details of the incident - or even identify the person who was involved. Even officers in top condition are not immune to the rapid drain of physical prowess and cognitive faculties resulting from sustained hand-to-hand combat." The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a press release about it.

.

Student Resources

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/student.htm

Writing Resources: Sample APA paper

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/18/

Here is an excellent example of a sample research paper annotated with APA guidelines and formatting advice.

.

Teaching Tips

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/sites.htm

.

The Testing Effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIK5gutHKM

Subscriber David Myers shares this excellent animated video describing the value of asking our students to engage in forced retrieval (the testing effect) through quizzing, practice, and review.

.

Topic Resources

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/topics.htm

Aggression/Prejudice: The shooting of Trayvon Martin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin

How big is the Trayvon Martin story?  It's got its own Wikipedia page.

.

Attraction and Relationships:

.

Women in red seen as more sexually interested

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/28/
red-dress-effect_n_1307051.html

"To understand why, Pazda and his colleagues conducted a simple experiment. They showed 25 men a photo of a single woman doctored to look, in different cases, like she was wearing either a red or white T-shirt. The researchers then asked the volunteers to gauge, on a scale from 1 to 9, how keen the model seemed to be on romance. In other words, the men answered the question: 'Is she interested in sex?' Men interpreted the red outfit as a signal that the woman was indeed more open to sexual advances. In fact, the guys tended to grade the woman's disposition to sex about 1 to 1.5 points higher when she was wearing a red rather than a white tee, Pazda and colleagues report online this month in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology."

.

Attraction and Relationships:

"The power of hello"

.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/
science-small-talk/201203/the-power-hello

.

Subscriber Sam Sommers makes a good case for
the simple acts of smiling and saying "hello."

.

Conformity:  Is it the role or the person?

http://bps-occupational-digest.blogspot.com/2012/03/
be-all-you-can-be-how-military-training.html

Interesting study looks at the interesting question of whether people in a certain situation act that way because of the context or chose that context because of who they are. In this case, the military is the context. Does the military change your personality? Do certain personalities choose the military?

.

Methods/Social Judgment:

.

The Bargh/Chen/Burrows failed replication controversy continues

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/
2012/03/10/failed-replication-bargh-psychology-
study-doyen/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-natural-
unconscious/201203/nothing-in-their-heads

http://www.yale.edu/acmelab/articles/
bargh_chen_burrows_1996.pdf

In an earlier issue I pointed you to discussion of a failed replication of the classic priming study in which participants walked more slowly after priming for old age. Emotions have got quite heated as a number of psychologists have entered the fray to debate the merits of the original study and subsequent replications. The first link is to an overview of the controversy. The second link is to John Bargh's response to it. The third link is to the original article. Lots of good methodological issues for your students to consider.

.

Persuasion/Social Judgment:

.

Is the last chocolate better than the next chocolate?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/science-small-talk/
201203/getting-the-most-out-life-one-chocolate-time

Subscriber Sam Sommers discusses this clever study in which participants tasted five chocolates. Half of the participants were told the fifth one was the next chocolate, and half were told it was the last chocolate. Those who were told it was the last one liked it better. (I was tempted to begin this issue of the Newsletter by telling you it was the last issue, but the panic and deep despair that would likely follow could send shockwaves through world markets that we just don't need right now.) Ask your students where else this might apply. How could it be used in persuasive attempts?

.

Prejudice: Minority students receive harsher punishments in schools

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012/mar/06/
report-says-minority-students-face-harsher-punishm-ar-1743912/

Report from U.S. Department of Education

.

Prejudice: Robot prejudice

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/
2012/03/robot-prejudice.html

"Shown identical pictures of the robot, half the students were told the machine was called Armin (a typical German first name) and that it had been developed in Germany. The other students were told the robot was called Arman (a typical Turkish name; Turks are the largest minority group in Germany) and that it had been developed at a Turkish university. The students evaluating the supposedly German-built robot Armin, rated it as warmer, of superior design, as having more of a mind, said they felt psychologically closer to it, and expressed more of a willingness to live with it, as compared with the students who evaluated the supposedly Turkish-built Arman. So not only did the German students show a basic preferential bias toward the robot that had a German name and provenance, they also saw it as more human."

.

Social Judgment: When is "an eternity"?

http://i.imgur.com/WNQtx.jpg

Depends on what you are waiting for, as this cartoon illustrates. I wonder how long 5 seconds seems if you are used to waiting 30 seconds.

.

Social Judgment: When does your unconscious make better decisions?

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2012/02/
feeling-hungry-better-let-your.html

Apparently, when it has had a hit of sugar. Mr. Pibb, preferably. But that's just me.

.

Social Judgment: "Enclothed" cognition

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2012/03/
introducing-enclothed-cognition-how.html

Readers of this Newsletter will know that I'm a fan of the embodied cognition research. So, I was also intrigued by this research which investigated how the clothing we are wearing affects our cognitions. For example, participants who were wearing white lab coats committed only half as many errors on the Stroop Test than those wearing their normal clothes. I recommend a corduroy jacket with patches on the elbows for reading this Newsletter.

.

The Self: Low and high self-esteem users of Facebook

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2012/2/15/
read-this-before-your-next-facebook-post.html

"Their results indicated that low self-esteem users did not post more frequently or spend more time on Facebook than did high self-esteem users (despite the fact that low self-esteem users see Facebook use as more advantageous). Importantly, posts from those with low self-esteem were more negative (i.e., expressing anger, anxiety, fear, frustration, irritability, and sadness) and less positive (i.e., expressing excitement, gratitude, and happiness). Not surprisingly, raters expressed less liking for the low self-esteem individuals. It seems like low self-esteem individuals Facebook usage is backfiring on them."

.

Technology in Teaching

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/
crow/technology.htm

.

Audio

.

General: Series of speakers on a variety of topics including social psychology

http://cengagesites.com/academic/?site=5100&SecID=
4297&CFID=4404228&CFTOKEN=52746154#.T2ZagpYq2Ig.facebook

.

Images

.

Aggression: Disturbing vodka "rape" ad

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/25/
belvedere-vodka-rape-ad_n_1377975.html

.

Persuasion: Interesting old weight loss ads

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/25/
vintage-weight-loss-ads_n_1373856.html

.

Prejudice: Racist Obama bumper sticker

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/15/
racist-anti-obama-sticker_n_1349423.html

.

Video

.

Prejudice: NHL players push to reduce homophobia in hockey

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03/04/
patrick-burke-you-can-play_n_1319690.html

.

How Do You ... ?

.

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses? Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

.

Request Line is Open!

.

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me (jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) or by replying to this message.

.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

.

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL  60540

jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

.

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2012.

.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

.

.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

.

How to change subscription options:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/suboptions/socialpsy-teach

.

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

.

.