[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter Addendum - Baltimore edition

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold on IO Groups list <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Wiggio.com" <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 01:15:25 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 15:24:52 -0500
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter addendum - Baltimore edition

TSP folk,

Subscriber Linda Gulyn asked an excellent question, and it would not be very timely to answer in the next Newsletter.  So, here goes.

Linda asked how we might address the Baltimore situation in our classes.  Are there particular resources we could use?

I think the most interesting aspect of the situation is the framing of it.  For example, look what many have called it -- the Baltimore Riots.  That is how a lot of the news media has framed it also.  But it could just as well be framed as "Baltimore police brutality," or "Baltimore long-term poverty and unemployment," or "Baltimore: Thug capitol of the world."  How does framing it as "Baltimore Riots" influence how we see it?  It affects how we remember it.  The vividness effect/availability heuristic comes into play.  It affects how we interpret it.   It affects how we justify or don't justify it.

That suggests a classroom activity you could do with your students.  Pass out sheets with a brief description of what is happening in Baltimore, but with different titles reflecting different frames.  Then ask your students to attribute responsibility or indicate degree of support for different actions or groups.  See if those with different titles/frames respond differently to the exact same description.  There is social psych research very much like that, which I can't offhand remember. Can anyone point us to such research?

When comparing it to the Ferguson, MO situation, it would be interesting to talk about the similarities and differences.  Although a lot of attention was also given to the unrest and protests and riots there, a lot of attention was also given to other issues.  As a result, there might be more pressure to change. Why more so there than in Baltimore?  Take a look at recent Newsletters for resources about Ferguson.

Remember how framing also affected how rioting and looting was viewed after Hurricane Katrina?  Some media framed looting by Whites as "finding" food, while looting by Blacks was framed as ... looting.  See http://www.snopes.com/katrina/photos/looters.asp.

When considering the riots (or are they protests?  What's the difference?) in Baltimore, Linda suggested talking about frustration and aggression.

In rioting/looting/crowd situations it is also interesting to talk about deindividuation, as Linda also suggested.  As I've mentioned before, I like to show a brief clip from the movie To Kill a Mockingbird.  See here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaVuVu5KXuE.

There is plenty to discuss in terms of the power imbalance.  For example, have you seen the video of the mom who attacked her son for participating in the protests and dragged him home?  Some called her a hero, saying we need more moms like her.  Others said her actions were misguided.  This is just what those in power would want, discouraging protest out of fear.

And, of course, the fundamental attribution error and the ever-present confirmation bias are easily connected.

Those are just a few of my thoughts and resources.  If you have, how have you talked about Baltimore in your classes?  What else might be addressed?  What other questions/activities might we engage our students with?

Send any replies and I will pass them along to the group.

Jon

===============

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology