[net-gold] UNITED STATES: POLITICS: POLITICAL PARTIES: REPUBLICAN PARTY, TEA PARTY : INDUSTRIES: PETROLEUM : LIBRETARIANISM: Rand Paul's Fox News Problem: Why Warmongers Still Won't Accept the Newly Converted Hawk

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold on IO Groups list <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Wiggio.com" <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 07:46:07 -0400 (EDT)

.

UNITED STATES: POLITICS: POLITICAL PARTIES: REPUBLICAN PARTY, TEA PARTY :

INDUSTRIES: PETROLEUM :

LIBRETARIANISM:

Rand Paul's Fox News Problem: Why Warmongers
Still Won't Accept the Newly Converted Hawk

.

.

Rand Paul's Fox News Problem: Why Warmongers
Still Won't Accept the Newly Converted Hawk

Paul's becoming more hawkish, but right-wing media hawks aren't applauding him yet. Why should they?

Jim Newell

Wednesday, Apr 8, 2015 06:00 AM EST

Salon

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/08/rand_pauls_stubborn_neocon_problem_
why_warmongers_still_wont_accept_the_newly_converted_hawk/

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/oamsvo3

.

.

The section of Rand Pauls announcement speech addressing foreign policy the area where hes allegedly at odds with the mainstream of the party fit in neatly with his recent trending toward acceptable hawkishness. But it was done in carefully crafted language that, while aspiring to meet hawks standards, wouldnt immediately scare away what remains of his fathers die-hard libertarian base.

.

He spun his recent amendment to jack up the Pentagon budget through the familiar trope of Ronald Reagan wanted peace through strength just like me! He couched his desire to do whatever it takes to destroy ISIS by representing ISIS as some great immediate threat to our Constitution. IT IS PURELY DEFENSIVE. On Iran, he stuck to the plan his spokesperson previewed earlier in the week: hiding behind process objections to avoid commenting on the substance of the preliminary deal.

.

There was another quizzical bit about Iran, though. He mentioned that we brought Iran to the table from strength, through sanctions I voted for, and then appeared to rap the presidents knuckles for not negotiating from a position of strength? Even though he was saying that the president was negotiating with Iran from a position of strength, thanks to Rand Paul?

.

As the Washington Examiners Philip Klein writes, Paul glosses over his own record on sanctions when he presents himself as the Sanctions Guy who brought Iran to the table. Wed describe it another way: Paul once again moved to the right on foreign policy. Paul had been on Obamas side over the last year when it came to imposing a new round of sanctions, as the Kirk-Menendez bill would do. In December, Paul said, I think it would be a mistake to push them away from the table. He had expressed a similar view earlier in the year:

.

I think while theyre negotiating, and if we can see that theyre negotiating in good faith, I dont think its a good idea to pass sanctions while were in the midst of negotiations, Paul said on CNN. I think the bottom line is we should give negotiations a chance. My hope is that sanctions will avoid war. Weve been involved in two long wars in the Middle East. And I think it would be best if we can do anything possible to try to avoid another war now.

.

This is the exact argument that the administration has been making from about 18 months ago to the present on new sanctions. Now he is lecturing the White House about the importance of sanctions.

.

.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@xxxxxxxxxx
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Research Guides

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Center Guide)
http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/p63whl

RailTram Discussion Group
From the Union Pacific to BritRail and Beyond
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/railtram/info

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

.

.

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

.

.