[net-gold] SPORTS MEDICINE : MEDICAL: TECHNOLOGY : SPORTS: FOOTBALL: PROFESSIONAL: In the NFL, Helmet Sensors are a Sensitive Issue

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold on IO Groups list <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Wiggio.com" <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sport-Med <SPORT-MED@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sports-med@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sport-med@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 19:20:05 -0400 (EDT)

.

SPORTS MEDICINE :

MEDICAL: TECHNOLOGY :

SPORTS: FOOTBALL: PROFESSIONAL:

In the NFL, Helmet Sensors are a Sensitive Issue

.

.

By BRETT MARTEL

Associated Press (AP)

Myrtle Beach Online

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/article21121725.html

.

.

The NFL Players Association's Mackey-White Committee, which spearheads player safety initiatives, spent considerable time discussing not only the potential health benefits of helmet sensors, but also the legal and ethical pitfalls that come with them in mid-April.

.

Committee members made it clear the NFLPA wants to pursue placing sensors in helmets as soon as the technology meets its standards. But the union also wants to ensure sensor data isn't used in a way that infringes upon players' medical privacy rights, or creates scenarios whereby careers are arbitrarily cut short by the teams for which they play.

.

NFLPA President Eric Winston, a Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle, sits on the Mackey-White committee. Winston said players are also wary of how the NFL could use or manipulate sensor data to limit its liability in current or future concussion lawsuits.

.

"That's extremely concerning," Winston said. "We want (helmet sensors) to make sure that our players are healthy, and if they aren't healthy, let them know why and how we can help train them. But we never want it to be used against them. So as we're trying to protect our guys health-wise, we're also making sure that we're protecting their rights at the same time."

.

NFL vice president Jeff Miller, who oversees the league's health and safety policies, said the league's focus, as it relates to helmet sensors, is making football safer.

.

"There has to be protocols in place to protect individual players' health information, and we will certainly respect that," Miller said. "The league's concern is the health and safety of players and making the game better and safer for those who play it.

.

.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@xxxxxxxxxx
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Research Guides

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Center Guide)
http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/p63whl

RailTram Discussion Group
From the Union Pacific to BritRail and Beyond
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/railtram/info

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

.

.

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

.

.