[net-gold] SPORTS MEDICINE : ELDERLY AGING GERONTOLOGY GERIATRIC: PHYSICAL EXERCISE FITNESS AND SPORTS : HEALTH: WOMEN : BRAIN: HUMAN BRAIN: FUNCTION : MEDICAL: HEART AND CARDIOVASCULAR : RESEARCH: STUDY: Moderate Exercise Improves Brain Blood Flow in Elderly Women

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold on IO Groups list <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Wiggio.com" <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sport-Med <SPORT-MED@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sports-med@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sport-med@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 15:57:28 -0400 (EDT)

.

SPORTS MEDICINE :

ELDERLY AGING GERONTOLOGY GERIATRIC: PHYSICAL EXERCISE FITNESS AND SPORTS :

HEALTH: WOMEN :

BRAIN: HUMAN BRAIN: FUNCTION :

MEDICAL: HEART AND CARDIOVASCULAR :

RESEARCH: STUDY:

Moderate Exercise Improves Brain Blood Flow in Elderly Women

.

.

Moderate Exercise Improves Brain Blood Flow in Elderly Women

Brisk walking several times per week ups bestows benefits in just 3 months

The American Physiological Society Press Release

http://www.the-aps.org/mm/hp/Audiences/Public-Press/Archive/2011/9.html

.

.

WASHINGTON, DC - Research conducted at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital's Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine in Dallas suggests that it's never too late for women to reap the benefits of moderate aerobic exercise. In a 3-month study of 16 women age 60 and older, brisk walking for 30-50 minutes three or four times per week improved blood flow through to the brain as much as 15%.

.

snip

.

Blood Flow and the Brain

.

A steady, healthy flow of blood to the brain achieves two things. First, the blood brings oxygen, glucose and other nutrients to the brain, which are vital for the brain's health. Second, the blood washes away brain metabolic wastes such as amyloid-beta protein released into the brain's blood vessels. Amyloid-beta protein has been implicated in the development of Alzheimer's disease.

.

Whether the increased blood flow to the brain improves learning and reasoning has yet to be determined, says Dr. Zhang. "I don't have the data to suggest a correlation between brain perfusion and cognitive function, but this is something we eventually will see after this study is completed," he says. "We do know there is strong evidence to suggest that cardiovascular risk is tied to the risk for Alzheimer's disease. We want to see how we can fight that."

.

Dr. Zhang stresses the importance of the finding that improvement in brain blood flow is possible in one's senior years. "We often start to see a decline in brain perfusion and cognitive function in the 60s and 70s. That's when the downward trajectory starts. We want to see how much we can do to reverse or delay that process."

.

.

The complete press release may be read at the URL above.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@xxxxxxxxxx
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Research Guides

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Center Guide)
http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/p63whl

RailTram Discussion Group
From the Union Pacific to BritRail and Beyond
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/railtram/info

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

.

.

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

.

.