[net-gold] SPORTS MEDICINE : DATABASE SEARCH RESULTS : DATABASES: SEARCHING: TECHNIQUE : DATBASES: Databases for Searching Sports Medicine Databases

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Net-Gold Groups.IO -- Educator-Gold" <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Sean Grigsby OR Keith @ Groups.IO" <Myarchives@xxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold on IO Groups list <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sport-Med -- Sports Medicine at Groups IO <SportMed@xxxxxxxxx>, SPORT-MED@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sport-med@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Public Health <public-health@xxxxxxxxx>, Public Health <ml-node+s87863n1h15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, PUBLIC-HEALTH-NEWS-AND-SOURCES@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, SocialWorkDiscussionGroups <ml-node+s2351479n1h15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, social-work-and-social-issues@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, SocialWork <social-work@xxxxxxxxx>, social-work@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 14:05:56 -0400 (EDT)

This post was in response to a question of the JISC Evidence Based Health List on the JISC network. The poster wanted to know the core database for
searching the Web of Science list of journals specifically in the field of Sports Medicine.

I provided this response.

The list of journals you mention and also the Scopus owned SciMogo journal lists by subject do not correspond as far as I know to a specific database. The closest in the sense of providing in depth sport science journal coverage is Sport Discus which is owned by EbscoHost and is available at a substantial number of colleges. However, Sport Discus also provides in depth coverage of areas like sports management, sports facilities, recreation and more.

.

SPORTDiscus with Full Text

Database Coverage List of Journal Titles

https://www.ebscohost.com/titleLists/s4h-coverage.htm

.

.

SPORTDiscus with Full Text

Full Text Subject Title List of Journals

https://www.ebscohost.com/titleLists/s4h-subject.htm

.

.

SCIMOGO FROM SCOPUS

http://guides.temple.edu/FacultyCredentialing/faculty-scimago-scopus

.

SCIMAGO

Sports Science (129 Journals)

http://tinyurl.com/q74g67f

But it is my considered opinion that only looking at coverage of a specific group of journals with no very strong reason for doing so is not an optimum method of searching. If one views the database list for my research guides in which I show a list databases that have content in the topic of the guide, a search of some core terms and phrases and the number of search hits found for them illustrates the usefulness of that database in that field. Here is the a link to the database list for my sports management research guide. Unfortunately for this post I did not include terminology related to sports medicine.

http://tinyurl.com/jmgf77v

Also many of my posts on my Sport-Med list on JISC and elsewhere show links to publically available databases on sport medicine related topics such as these databases, Trip, Pubmed, PogoFrog, Google Scholar, Google Books, Temple Summon Search.

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=sport-med

.

To see links to searches posted on the Sport-Med lists and blogs, please try these links. Keep in mind that a sizable group of databases have a significant amount of information on or related to sport medicine topics.

.

http://tinyurl.com/zlcyzmf

.

Consider these facts as well. Google Scholar has a "cited by" link that can lead to hundreds or even thousands of sources cited by links in result numbers shown by the clicking the link although Google never shows more than 1,000 hits per search on a specific Google database. Also at institutions that subscribe to the Web of Science database for those logged into those college networks, Google Scholar has a link to Web of Science indexed articles citing the source above this link in the original search results. All sources cited in the highly cited journals covered by Web of Science are peer reviewed. Temple Summon Search can cover if requested all publications and sources cited in their entire system and one can limit to only peer reviewed sources in ones search results by clicking that option on the left side bar.

.

.

By the way the Trip database only indexes evidence based sources. The benefits of these public databases alone makes ignoring them and only using the core databases in the field being searched, in my judgement and experience a very serious mistake. For example, form the field of social work, an article comparing Scopus, Web of Science and Google Scholar for citation analysis in social work is indexed in Engineering Village, published in the Journal of Academic Librarianship and NOT INDEXED by either Social Work Abstracts or Social Services Abstracts which do not index that journal. How many faculty members in social work would want to read such an article?

.

.

How many on this list would think with complete horror at the idea of using web search Google for serious research topics?

.

Please consider these links.

.

http://tinyurl.com/hmtgh7v

.

http://tinyurl.com/zjwxxnf

.

Search of Google Scholar for Sports Medicine, A Large Group of Sources

http://tinyurl.com/jjgo8ot

.

.

WEBBIB1617

http://tinyurl.com/gtdzaq3
.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@xxxxxxxxxx
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Temple University and Google Sites Research Guides
AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/DigitalScholarship/threads
https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=DIGITAL-SCHOLARSHIP
https://digitalscholarshipandscholarlypublication.wordpress.com/

Copyright Research Guide
Copyright, Intellectual Property and Plagiarism Sources
http://guides.temple.edu/copyright-plagiarism
Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Guide)
http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

SPORT-MED