[net-gold] Re: Nine States and the District of Columbia Win Second Round Race to the Top Grants

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Other Net-Gold Lists -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:55:22 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:37:37 -0400
From: bbracey@xxxxxxx
To: NET-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Nine States and the District of Columbia Win Second Round Race to
    the Top Grants

Recently the newspapers and Internet have been full of information about education. As a former classroom teacher and now an education advocate, I have been thinking about power. Here are lots of powerful thoughts and ideas.

There is the power of government, hard power and soft power. There is the power of us. Teacher power is often only defined in terms of the unions. Teachers often are cautious about their blogging and talking about education, because as public servants, they are cautious in their criticisms.

The new administration has thrown forth some gauntlets into education with the power of our purses in the Race to the Top program. There is not much controversy about the Dept. of Education wanting to change education. States have and have not participated. I welcome the new ways of thinking about transfomation and change and have even bigger ideas in mind.

this will be the first blog on the Power of US site.

-

Bonnie Bracey Sutton

Bonnie Bracey Sutton
Outreach GLEF.org
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/bbracey
My communities
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/summitforchildren
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/gendergap
CyberEd Resources : ICT's and Education (owner)
Games and Education (owner)
Science without Frontiers STEM Initiatives K-12 (owner)
http://www.digitaldivide.net/blog/bbracey
Portal Work
http://edreform.net/
Technology Applications for learning in the portal
applications.edreform.net
Technology Applications for Learning
The Technology Applications for Learning Network
is a catalog of technology applications for learning.
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/STEM

.