[net-gold] MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY : PHYSICAL EXERCISE AND FITNESS : JOURNAL ARTICLES: RETRACTION : JOURNALS: NAMED JOURNAL: BRITISH JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE: Widely Covered Editorial Extolling Importance of Diet Over Exercise "Temporarily Removed"

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold on IO Groups list <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Wiggio.com" <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sport-Med <SPORT-MED@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sports-med@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sport-med@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 16:27:34 -0400 (EDT)

.

MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY :

PHYSICAL EXERCISE AND FITNESS :

JOURNAL ARTICLES: RETRACTION :

JOURNALS: NAMED JOURNAL: BRITISH JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE:

Widely Covered Editorial Extolling Importance of Diet Over Exercise "Temporarily Removed"

Retraction Watch

http://retractionwatch.com/2015/05/05/widely-covered-editorial-
extolling-importance-of-diet-over-exercise-temporarily-removed/

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/llm5y35

.

.

The British Journal of Sports Medicine has temporarily removed an editorial arguing that physical activity alone will not cure the obesity epidemic, following an expression of concern.

.

In its place stands the following message:

.

This paper has been temporarily removed following an expression of concern.

.

First author Assem Malhotra, based at the Department of Cardiology, Frimley Park Hospital and Consultant Clinical Associate to the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, told us the paper was pulled due to a technical issue, and an official explanation would be forthcoming.

.

Indeed, just this morning, we received a statement from Fiona Godlee, editor of the British Medical Journal, which publishes the British Journal of Sports Medicine:

.

The article was taken down temporarily, mainly to address concerns about some undeclared conflicts of interest. It will be reposted shortly.

Second author Timothy Noakes believes he has the explanation. He told us the article may have been pulled because he didnt declare a potential conflict of interest related to his popular books about health:

.

It seems that it was largely my fault as I failed to declare a conflict of interest from the books that I write relating to exercise or nutrition or both. Since all the royalties from all those books are donated to two Trusts that I run to support research (as now fully declared in my COI statement) I did not consider it a conflict of interest. In 40 years of research I have never declared my books as a COI and I am not aware of many other authors who routinely declare books as COI.

.

Noakes, based at the University of Cape Town and Sports Science Institute of South Africa, even passed along a COI form he recently completed for the journal, declaring this potential conflict.

.

Whats puzzling, however, is that the journal appeared to pull the editorial from its website (although you can read in full here), and has not released the expression of concern referenced in the note (at least, not any EoC we can find). Does a missing potential COI warrant removing the article entirely before it can be added?

http://press.psprings.co.uk/bjsm/april/bjsm094911.pdf

.

.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@xxxxxxxxxx
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Research Guides

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Center Guide)
http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard