[net-gold] Re: How Universities Can Help to Create a Wiser World: Response to Schremmer

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Other Net-Gold Lists -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Wiggio.com" <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 00:01:04 -0500 (EST)

.

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 14:00:20 -0800
From: Richard Hake <rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AERA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Net-Gold] Re: How Universities Can Help to Create a Wiser World:
    Response to Schremmer

.

If you reply to this long (53 kB) post please don't hit the reply button, bane of discussion lists, unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers. The ABSTRACT reads:

.

.

ABSTRACT: In response to my post "How Universities Can Help to Create a Wiser World" at <http://bit.ly/1du3KNZ>, Alain Schremmer of the MathEdCC list wrote at <http://bit.ly/1lY8yzF>: "I think that the show is pretty much all over.  See 'The Fall of the Faculty: The Rise of the All-Administrative University and Why It Matters'.

And it is not only universities. At my school,  Community College of Philadelphia, mutatis mutandis, things are exactly as described by Ginsberg."

.

The reference is Ginsberg (2013) at  <http://amzn.to/K8KqxR>. The book description reads in part: "Until very recently, American universities were led mainly by their faculties, which viewed intellectual production and pedagogy as the core missions of higher education. Today, as Benjamin Ginsberg warns in this eye-opening, controversial book, 'deanlets' -- administrators and staffers often without serious academic backgrounds or experience -- are setting the educational agenda."

.

.

In response to my post "How Universities Can Help to Create a Wiser World" [Hake (2013)], Alain Schremmer (2013) of the MathEdCC list wrote [My insert at ". . . . .[[insert]]. . . ."; slightly edited.] :

.

"I think that the show is pretty much all over. See "The Fall of the Faculty: The Rise of the All-Administrative University and Why It Matters" by Benjamin Ginsberg. . . . .[[See the Wikipedia entry on Ginsbert at <http://bit.ly/1dzEndo>]]. . . . . .And it is not only universities. At my school, mutatis mutandis, CCP . . . .[[Community College of Philadelphia]]. . . . ., things are exactly as described by Ginsberg."

.

Alain – thanks for calling attention to Ginsberg's hard-hitting denouncement of Universities - right up my alley: see e.g., "Are colleges failing?" [Hake (2005)] and "Evaluating the Effectiveness of College" [Hake (2013)] - but why not give readers a break by giving a hot-linked academic reference to his book, as in "The Fall of the Faculty: The Rise of the All-Administrative University and Why It Matters" by Benjamin Ginsberg *(2013)*?

.

As President of PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII), I'm continually depressed by the reticence of editors, authors, and discussion-list posters to accept the precious gift of physicist-turned-computer-scientist Tim Berners-Lee <http://bit.ly/dPFtPa> that allows references to be brought to a reader's screen with the click of a mouse (instead of 10s of minutes spent searching Google or hours searching though musty stacks  - or more likely not even seeing the referenced material and remaining ignorant of its contents).

.

For example, the book description at Amazon.com states [bracketed by lines "GGGG. . . . . ."]:

.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

.

"Until very recently, American universities were led mainly by their faculties, which viewed intellectual production and pedagogy as the core missions of higher education. Today, as Benjamin Ginsberg warns in this eye-opening, controversial book, 'deanlets' -- administrators and staffers often without serious academic backgrounds or experience -- are setting the educational agenda.

.

The Fall of the Faculty examines the fallout of rampant administrative blight that now plagues the nation's universities. In the past decade, universities have added layers of administrators and staffers to their payrolls every year even while laying off full-time faculty in increasing numbers -- ostensibly because of budget cuts. In a further irony, many of the newly minted -- and non-academic -- administrators are career managers who downplay the importance of teaching and research, as evidenced by their tireless advocacy for a banal 'life skills' curriculum.

.

Consequently, students are denied a more enriching educational experience -- one defined by intellectual rigor. Ginsberg also reveals how the legitimate grievances of minority groups and liberal activists, which were traditionally championed by faculty members, have, in the hands of administrators, been reduced to chess pieces in a game of power politics. By embracing initiatives such as affirmative action, the administration gained favor with these groups and legitimized a thinly cloaked gambit to bolster their power over the faculty.

.

As troubling as this trend has become, there are ways to reverse it. The Fall of the Faculty outlines how we can revamp the system so that real educators can regain their voice in curriculum policy.

.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

.

.

.

Richard Hake, Emeritus Professor of Physics, Indiana University; Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands; President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII); LINKS TO: Academia <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>; Articles <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>; Blog <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>; Facebook <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>; GooglePlus <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>; Google Scholar  <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>; Linked In <http://linkd.in/14uycpW>; Research Gate <http://bit.ly/1fJiSwB>; Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>; Twitter <http://bit.ly/juvd52>.

.

.

.

REFERENCES [All URL's accessed on 09 Jan 2014 and shortened by <http://bit.ly/>.]

. .

.

Bok, D. 2005a. "Are colleges failing? Higher Ed  Needs New Lesson Plans," Boston Globe, 18  December, copied into the APPENDIX of Hake (2005). See also Bok (2005b).

.

Bok, D. 2005b. "Our Underachieving Colleges: A Candid Look at How Much Students Learn and Why They Should Be Learning More." Princeton University Press, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/qfNIWM> Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/HLaHzT>.

.

Ginsberg, B. 2013. "The Fall of the Faculty: The Rise of the All-Administrative University and Why It  Matters." Oxford University Press, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/1d3zHjD>.  Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/K8KqxR>. Note the searchable "Look Inside" feature.

.

Hake, R.R. 2005. "Are colleges failing?" AERA-L  post of 19 Dec 2005 17:54:37-0800; online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/erBRGN>. The APPENDIX  contains a copy of Bok (2005a).

.

Hake, R.R. 2013. "Evaluating the Effectiveness of College" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/1abaYZU>.  Post of 14 May 2013 16:35:04-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold.  The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/14nNcEt>.

.

Hake, R.R. 2013. "How Universities Can Help to Create a Wiser World," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at  <http://bit.ly/1du3KNZ>. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion lists and are on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/KwzSJf>.

.

Schremmer, A. 2013. "Re: How Universities Can Help to Create a Wiser World," online on the OPEN! MathEdCC archives at <http://bit.ly/1lY8yzF>. Post of 9 Jan 9, 2014 12:27-0500.

.

.