[net-gold] Defeating both Trump and Trumpism

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Net-Gold Groups.IO -- Educator-Gold" <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Sean Grigsby OR Keith @ Groups.IO" <Myarchives@xxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold on IO Groups list <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 08:01:39 -0500 (EST)

.

POLITICS ELECTIONS AND ELECTION CAMPAIGNS: CANDIDATES :

UNITED STATES: POLITICS: POLITICAL PARTIES: REPUBLICAN  PARTY, TEA PARTY :

INDUSTRIES: PETROLEUM :

LIBERTARIANISM :

RACISM :

BIGOTRY :

EXTREMISM :

HATE GROUPS :

INTOLERANCE :

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES: NAMED PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES: DONALD TRUMP :

BLATANT FALSEHOODS :

SERIAL LIARS :

REPUBLICAN WAR ON WOMEN :

RAPE CULTURE :

CRIME AND CRIMINALS: SEXUAL PREDATORS :

SEXISM :

MISOGYNY :

VINDICTIVENESS:

Defeating both Trump and Trumpism

.

.

Defeating both Trump and Trumpism

By E.J. Dionne Jr.

November 6, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/
defeating-both-trump-and-trumpism/2016/11/06/ bf82db04-a451-11e6-8fc0-7be8f848c492_story.html

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/hn28p88

.

.

Although Donald Trumps defeat is a prerequisite to national recovery, the profound damage he has done to our nation will not be wiped away if he loses.

.

And even if she wins, Hillary Clinton will still be feeling the effects of the multiyear campaign waged by Republicans in Congress to destroy her. The evidence suggests that her GOP foes will try to end her presidency prematurely by colluding with an implacably hostile conservative media and, it now seems, right-wing agents inside the FBI.

.

Clinton got good news on Sunday when FBI Director James B. Comey announced that his decision not to charge her would remain unchanged after the agencys review of newly discovered emails.

.

But Comeys announcement only underscored his own recklessness in issuing his Oct. 28 letter announcing the existence of the emails before the FBI even knew what was in them. His letter poisoned the political atmosphere against Clinton without any justification to the great advantage of Trump and the glee of her congressional critics.

.

So while I celebrate the conclusion of the most abysmal campaign of my lifetime, I fear that this will not end the division, aggression and rancid prejudice Trump has nurtured.

.

A Trump victory would unleash the furies. But even a Trump loss will not advance the cause of social peace and mutual tolerance unless the majority of Americans who still believe in making our experiment in self-government work insist on the need for Congress to govern, not obstruct. Abraham Lincoln had little use for political grudges: I am in favor of short statutes of limitations in politics. His successors in the Republican Party would no doubt declare him a sellout for harboring such sentiments.

.

After all we have learned about Trumps selfishness, indiscipline, mendacity, greed, misogyny, vindictiveness and intellectual laziness, it should not be necessary to continue to make a case against him. The man who opened his campaign by declaring that many immigrants to our country from Mexico are rapists has legitimized far-right politics and the open expression of bigotry. White nationalism has flourished in the garden of Trumpism.

.

Voters know about his treatment of women, his shortchanging those who worked for him, his warm statements about authoritarian leaders, his readiness to be assisted by Vladimir Putins minions, his denigration of a Gold Star family and a heroic POW, and his open promises to use the instruments of government to punish his enemies. Long ago, all this should have reduced his share of the vote to single digits.

.

The fact that Trump, on the contrary, still has a chance of victory speaks to a profound distemper in the country. Our deep divides along lines of party, race, class, gender and region guarantee even a man as deeply flawed as Trump a firm foundation of support. And many of our fellow citizens, shaken by economic and social changes, are hurting so much that they have embraced the opportunity to use Trump as a way of expressing their rage.

.

.

The complete article may be read at the URL above.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@xxxxxxxxxx
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Temple University and Google Sites Research Guides
AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.io/g/indoor-gardening
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/DigitalScholarship/threads
https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=DIGITAL-SCHOLARSHIP
https://digitalscholarshipandscholarlypublication.wordpress.com/

Copyright Research Guide
Copyright, Intellectual Property and Plagiarism Sources
http://guides.temple.edu/copyright-plagiarism
Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Guide)
http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
Wellness and Tourism: Mind, Body, Spirit,
Place, New York: Cognizant Communication Books.
Wellness Tourism: Bibliographic and Webliographic Essay
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING
Improve Your Chances for Indoor Gardening Success

SPORT-MED

HEALTH DIET FITNESS RECREATION SPORTS TOURISM

.

.

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
in search results for Net-Gold and related lists.
The Net-Gold relationship with JIGLU has
been terminated by JIGLU and these are dead links.
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

.

.