[USS Vanguard] OoC: Welcome to the Flagship of Task Force Three

  • From: "Andy W. Ho" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS-Vanguard <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:48:07 -0700 (PDT)

All:

You've probably heard. And if you have, it's thanks to Alexa.

First of all, I'd like to thank Carlos (Admiral Diaz) and Alexa
(Admiral Xavian) for their faith in me and for pulling out the chair:
it's official. As of today, I'll be helping coordinate Task Force
Three, which makes Vanguard the flagship of Task Force Three.

So what does this mean for us? Basically, our roleplaying style won't
change. We will, of course, get a little more exposure. And there may
be one or two additions to our style, which I'll explain below.

When the celebration's over, I've got some work to do.

First, I know that participation has been a little on the wee side the
last couple of months. Maybe it's because I GM the Vanguard that I
can't help but blame myself. A very wise player once told me that the
players can play their hearts out--which you all do--but it's nothing
if the GM doesn't show the colors and play as much as possible. Point
taken. It hasn't been an easy time for me--not with work overwhelming
me (who doesn't feel overwhelmed by work?) and Microsoft certifications
nagging me all the time.

But yet, I have a responsibility to this simulation. I'm going to be
more cognizant of that responsibility. Otherwise, how can I say that
I'll be able to live up to my responsibilities to the entire FLEET?

Secondly, I want to get YOU active and, more importantly, excited
again. Last year's switch from Astoria (may she rest) to the Vanguard
was a success. But momentum fizzles if there isn't energy behind it.
And I'm thinking of trying new and different ways to get you involved,
interested, eager to read the next post from your fellow players. I'm
thinking of offering incentives, holding write-offs, having all players
start thinking about designing a mission. Basically, whatever it takes
to get everyone playing and interested in playing.

Finally, I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I KNOW the
Web site has been shamefully neglected. But--and I've discussed this
with Mark and he knows--with Freeservers' now-limited free services,
I'm limited to what I can do now as opposed to what I was able to do
before. I'm shopping for a new Web site and while I'm at it, a few
tweaks on the (now) old site for Vanguard.

Keep playing. The Borg mission is almost over. And I think you'll be
surprised by a few things coming up.

There will still be a sim. There will still be a Vanguard. And now
there's Task Force Three, too.

Stick with us. Play with us. Help us--help me--grow and change and
improve and get better.

It's a ride worth taking.

Best,

Andy Ho