[ncsc-moths] Wake County, June 30 - July 11, 2011

  • From: Kyle Kittelberger <kkturtledude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Moth List <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:56:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hey everyone,

Well I have another update on the moths I have been seeing. I have been very
busy photographing moths, as my new macro lens has been unbelievable and
allowed me to not only take fantastic photos but also photograph micros and
torts, as well as hemipterans (leafhoppers, etc.) that I was not able to
before. I have had many new moths, some of which, such as 1840 and 2330, I
believe are pretty uncommon and might be first state records; I could be wrong
though about this. I also had my favorite moth yet during this time, the Giant
Leopard Moth. This is a truly majestic species, and I was lucky to have two,
including one that I had on my hand. I have also been going to Prarie Ridge
once every week to photograph the moths there. Below is the list of species I
have seen during this time, with species in blue from Prairie Ridge and the one
in red from Falls Lake. I have also attached a list of the leafhoppers I have
had, plus pics of some of the interesting and
 neat moths I have had, plus a mystery one at the end (any ideas on that
greatly appreciated). Below is also the link to my moth set, which shows more
pics than what I have shown on this email, as every moth below is represented
with a picture in my set. As of July 11, I have seen 421 species in my backyard
this year.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawk-eagle/sets/72157624629513686/

Happy mothing,
Kyle

Moths:
0317 Clemen's Bark Moth- image 0019
0334 Amydria effrentella
0462 Philonome clemensella
0663 Neurobathra strigifinitella- image 0969
0816 Cameraria conglomeratella
0884 Thelma's Agnopterix Moth
1253.98 Unidentified Blastobasinid Moth
1840 Pine Needleminer Moth-image 0181.6
2064 Chionodes bicostomaculella
2223 Untomia albistrigella
2234 Coverdale's Anacampsis Moth
2330 Epermenia pimpinella- image 0272.5
2703 Maple Tip Borer Moth
2738 Verbena Bud Moth
2831 Pristerognatha fuligana
3009 Robinson's Eucosoma Moth- PR
3173 Abrupt Epiblema Moth-PR
3449 Cydia laricana
3634 Zapulata Moth
3704 Distinct Sparganothis Moth- image 0720
3732 Black-shaded Platynota Moth-PR
3754 Angular Aethes
4624 Grapeleaf Skeletonizer Moth-PR
4647 Southern Flannel Moth
4671 Skiff Moth
4675 Spun Glass Slug Moth
4679 Nason's Slug Moth
4681 Crowned Slug Moth
4869 Common Glaphyria Moth
4967 Hahncappsia mancalis
5071 Mint-loving Pyrausta Moth
5478 Diatraea evanescens
5489 Peppered Haimbachia Moth- image 0176
5492 Wainscot Grass-veneer Moth
6341 Bicolored Angle Moth
7905 Major Datana Moth- PR
5853 Southern Pine Coneworm Moth- PR