[ncsc-moths] Re: Unid and unlikely ID

  • From: Hugh McGuinness <hdmcguinness@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 20:43:17 -0400

Hi Doug,

I wrote a lengthy message last week and tried to send it, but I guess it
didn;t get through. Here are some more corrections for your Flickr page
(NMW list)

Idaea demissaria is not; it is Nemoria lixaria
Psilocorsis reflexella is Dichomeris ventrella
Agrotis ipsilon is Feltia subterranea
I agree with Ken Childs that the Argyrotaenia is tabulana
The Galphyria is actually Aethiophysa not sure which species name
applies--I think it is invisalis, but that name isn;t even on MPG
The Macaria is bicolorata
The Grecthena is not in that genus, which flies in March in your area; it
is probably Epinotia.
Olethreutes is not atrodentata.
Idia aemula is Idia n. sp. sometimes called concise (in Forbes)
Not sure how you can ID the Eulithis without dissection
The CRambus is agitatellus
Acronicta is haesitata.
Ptichodis herbarum is Panopoda rufimargo

Hope this helps,

Hugh

--
Hugh McGuinness