[ncsc-moths] Photoshop: the Shadow/Highlights tool

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 07:47:22 -0700 (PDT)

If you have one of the more recent editions of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements,
you have a wonderful tool that works like magic. The Shadow/Highlights tool is
amazing and it works well with moth photos. This tool can lighten up the dark
areas without affecting the lighter areas or darken the light areas without
affecting the dark areas. It can be found at Image/Adjustments/Shadow Highlight.

Here are my default settings.

Amount on both: 0%
Tonal width on both: 50%
Radius on both: 30 px
Color correction: 0
Midtone contrast: 0
Black clip and white clip: 0.01%

I usually just adjust the Amount but occasionally I'll try playing with the
Tonal Width or other sliders.

The best way to learn what it can do is to open up a photo with some overly
dark areas and play with the various sliders. It's amazing just how much detail
can be hiding in those shadows. If you have to use a high Amount percentage,
you'll sometimes end up with areas that look a bit washed out but a little
Contrast boost will fix that.

In the before/after sample I set the Shadows Amount to 65% and then increased
the contrast.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County