[ncsc-moths] Oddball Moth from Chatham County

  • From: "parker backstrom" <dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:35:24 -0400

Dear NC Moth'ers:

When I sent images of the strange-looking "Heterocampa obliqua" to Dave
Beadle in Toronto, he managed to find the image below on MPG.  The
identification was seconded by Bo Sullivan who confirms that the moth I
found yesterday morning, images of which I shared with the listserv, is an
undescribed species thought to be in the genus Schizura.  While not new for
the state he did say that to date it has only been found on the coastal
plain.  Pretty cool and a really lovely moth (in one of my favorite groups).

I'll be anxious to hear what Steve Hall's response is to Lori's
black-and-buff moth.

Good mothing.

Parker Backstrom

Bear Creek, Chatham County

930104.96 - 8011.96 - Schizura n. spp. - Schizura New Species

Photographs are the copyrighted property of each photographer listed.
Contact individual photographers for permission to use for any purpose.

Schizura n. spp.
C Vernon A. Brou, Jr.

JPEG image