[ncsc-moths] Re: Nemapogon defectella Buncombe County

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:34:14 -0500

Vin,

I believe N. defectella may be a western species--in a quick search on the
internet I found two photos, one from Arizona and one from Colorado.  In the
Great Smoky Mountains NP database which is the most complete lep survey I'm
aware of for western NC, the only Nemapogon listed is N. acapnopennella
#0261 which is pictured in MPG and does not resemble your moth.  To me your
moth better matches *Nemapogon angulifasciella *#0262 which does occur in
the east, see here:  http://bugguide.net/node/view/242674.  These micros are
very tough.  I think you are in the ballpark with Nemapogon or related genus
in the family Tineidae.  Not meant to be a criticism, but a side view of the
moth would be most helpful.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch