[ncsc-moths] Moth Records (plus Alleghany and Ashe moths)

  • From: "Corey, Ed" <ed.corey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:24:45 -0400

Fellow Moth Enthusiasts,

I have really enjoyed seeing all of the diversity that everyone seems to be
finding in NC.  So many species are popping up, and I think we are documenting
them really well.

With that being said (and understanding I may have missed this discussion
earlier), I want to pose this question: What are we doing with this data?  It's
great for 10-15 people in NC to know that Rosy Maple Moths come to lights in
Wake County, but how does that help scientists outside of our listserv?

With this in mind, I would like to suggest that when we document and identify
these moths for our respective areas, an effort should be made to get these
records to the proper "authority".  Meaning, our determined records should be
making their way to the Butterflies and Moths of North America, or BAMONA.
http://butterfliesandmoths.org/

This is a great resource which, similar to Moth Photographers' Group, is only
as good as the input it receives.  You can have detailed species lists for
counties, states, etc, but it requires input from people who are out searching.
 Every area has a dedicated (albeit unpaid) expert for receiving and verifying
records.  They require photos with dates and locations, and a name and contact
information.  For North Carolina, our regional coordinator is Roger Downer
(downer.2@xxxxxxx<mailto:downer.2@xxxxxxx>).  (Tennessee's coordinator is Jason
Roberts at entoman@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:entoman@xxxxxxxxx>).

I hope you will all consider cataloguing your finds in a way that is useful to
the general lepidopterist public.

And because I don't want this to be all about business, below are species found
at New River State Park last week.

Alleghany

Tulip-tree Beauty - Epimecis hortaria

Clover Looper - Caenurgina crassiuscula

Walnut Sphinx - Laothoe juglandis

Green Cutworm Moth - Hypena scabra

Red-washed Prominent - Oligocentria semirufescens

Banded Tussock Moth - Halysidota tessallaris

Curve-toothed Geometer - Eutrapela clemataria

Four-spotted Angle - Trigrammia quadrinotata

A Eulithis - Eulithis sp.

The Beggar - Eubaphe mendica

The Bad-wing - Dyspteris abortivaria

Morning-glory Prominent - Schizura ipomoeae

American Ear Moth - Amphipoea americana

Hook-tip Moth - Drepana arcuata

Maple Looper Moth - Parallelia bistriaris

Pink-barred Pseudostrotia - Pseudostrotia carneola

Rosy Maple Moth - Dryocampa rubicunda

Deadwood Borer Moth - Scolecocampa liburna

Three-spotted Fillip - Heterophleps triguttaria

Grapevine Leaffolder Moth - Desmia funeralis

Black-bordered Lemon Moth - Marimatha (Thioptera) nigrofimbria

Conspicuous Meganola - Meganola conspicua

Brown Bark Carpet - Horisme intestinata

Isabella Tiger Moth - Pyrrharctia isabella

Dot-lined White - Artace cribraria

Hubner's Pero - Pero ancetaria

Spotted Phosphila - Phosphila miselioides

Spotted Beet Webworm Moth - Hymenia perspectalis

Bent-line Gray - Iridopsis larvaria

Virgin Tiger Moth - Grammia virgo

Blinded Sphinx - Paonias excaecatus

Ashe
Showy Emerald - Dichorda iridaria

Ed
--------

Ed Corey
Inventory Biologist
NC Division of Parks and Recreation

Yorkshire Center
Office 305
12700 Bayleaf Church Road, Raleigh, NC 27614-9633
Office: 919-841-4037 Cell: 919-208-7864 Fax: 919-870-6843

Please note that my email address has changed to Ed.Corey@xxxxxxxxxxx  Please
change this in your contact lists.

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties