[ncsc-moths] Interesting Moth

  • From: "Parker Backstrom" <dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:51:29 -0400

Hi, folks.

I'm late in posting this but I truly enjoyed meeting everyone who attended
the moth workshop at New River State Park a week and a half ago.  I was very
impressed with the enthusiasm and knowledge on display.  It got my mothing
juices flowing again after a summer of relatively modest mothing activity.

Attached are some images of a moth that made an appearance at my sheets on
July 26.  It appears to be Paectes nubifera, called Clouded Paectes in
Wagner, et al's, owlet caterpillar book.  There are no live images of it on
MPG.  If it does turn out to be that species (I collected it), it is very
likely a first record for North Carolina.  It is a moth largely of Florida
and the Gulf Coast.  Bo Sullivan stated that he's unaware of any records
north of northern Georgia, though MPG shows a record from southern coastal
South Carolina.  (Of course, the data on MPG is but a small sample
information addressing range and anything but comprehensive.)

Lep on, everyone!

Parker