[ncsc-moths] Help With Moth ID

  • From: John Ennis <jxennis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 23:12:21 -0400

 I have just started learning about moths but have been photographing them
for 5+ years...very inexperienced.
Please help with ID. I think this is a sphinx moth but cannot match the
species with what I have. I hurriedly took a few pix but only had time for
one view...taken with a macro lens on the knee of my kakis. I made a quick
stop between bird photography and Father's Day lunch for emergency air. As
I reached underneath the pump cover for the air hose, this guy dropped out
and unfortunately headed under my car. I was able to locate it on the
inside of the wheel...so large that could gently feel it in my hand without
being able to see him. I put it down on the pine straw nearby but it
quickly jumped to my pants leg.
Moth saved, photo taken, lunch on time, awesome crab cakes! Happy Father's
Day to all of us!

PS This guy seems to have at least two sets of false eyes...and a large
false mouth...correct ???...