[ncsc-moths] Halifax County moths--20 July 2011

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 12:49:42 -0400

Had a chance to do some mothing at my farm in Halifax County Tuesday
night.  Pretty good night despite very hot (90 degrees at dusk!) and
dry conditions.  Had about 40 species including at least six lifers.
Also had one Imperial Moth (Eacles imperialis), one Spiny Oakworm Moth
(Anisota stigma) and one Tuliptree Silkmoth (Calosamia angulifera) and
at least 40 Copper Underwings.  I'm always fascinated by the Copper
Underwing behavior.  They emerge from beneath the boards on the porch
and scurry around like cockroaches.  Don't seem to fly much at all.
When you shine the light on them they scurry back under the boards and
hide.  And they seem to like to get together in "flocks"--I had
several groups of between 15-20 individuals that hung out together on
the porch ceiling--very unmothlike.

Merrill

2701 Episimus argutana
5381 Neodactria caliginosella