[ncsc-moths] Re: 20 early November species

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 12:36:47 -0500

Doug, Thanks for joining the listserve.  I looked at your pictures briefly
and didn't see any obvious mis-i'd's.  Concerning your question on a moth
database:  unfortunately NC does not have a comprehensive database.  Steve
Hall at the NC Natural Heritage Program maintains an "official" list of
macromoths in the state but nothing comparable exists for micros.  Harry
Wilson, a member of the listserve, compiled a list of moths for NC using
BAMONA, MPG, Bug Guide and other sources to come up with a list that
includes both moths that should be here based on range along with others
that have been verified.

I should mention that if you are on Facebook, there is a very active
mothing group that you should join, actually two.  Since the FB moth group
was set up, participation on the listserve has dropped way off; most people
now prefer to post their sightings, inquiries, etc on FB.  If you are on FB
and would be interested in joining the moth group, let me know.

Merrill Lynch

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm