[ncolug] Re: sql file

  • From: Rob Gibson <nosbig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 07:09:12 -0500

I can't speak for the complete syntax, but two things stand out right
away...

First, the --show-warning is a flag for the "mysql" command.  By placing it
at the very end of the command line, you are adding it to the list of files
to be fed into the "mysql" command for placing into your database.  When
you are looking to use redirection to pull the contents of a file from
standard input and have file arguments, make sure the arguments are before
the redirection.  Try this:

mysql -u root -p weather --show-warnings < hw3mysql.sql

Second, I notice that no database is specified on the command line.  While
the database you are interested in has only one table, is this the only
database on the MySQL installation?  I suspect not, and you will need to
specify that on the command line with another argument.

Rob