[ncolug] Re: small distros

  • From: Larry DiGioia <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 22:05:43 -0400

Thanks all, I will report back. I must say I am prejudiced toward Chrome OS...

On 05/10/2011 08:38 PM, Thomas Pfahler wrote:
Larry, I don't know what your gurus will suggest to you but recently I moved over to peppermint for some of the same reasons you stated. I find it very fast on even my older machines and I think you might want give it a try. Another very fast booting system is archbang. It didn't suit my needs but maybe it will suit yours. Tom Pfahler

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM, nor thern <zboson2003@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:zboson2003@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    --- On Tue, 5/10/11, DiGioia, Larry <larry.digioia@xxxxxx
    <mailto:larry.digioia@xxxxxx>> wrote:

    > From: DiGioia, Larry <larry.digioia@xxxxxx
    <mailto:larry.digioia@xxxxxx>>
    > Subject: [ncolug] small distros
    > To: "ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
    <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
    > Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 1:55 PM
    > OK guys –  What is the fastest booting
    > small live distro that will give me a browser?  I don’t even care if
    > it’s a text based browser, it just needs to already be
    > there, and working, when it comes up. This needs to be on a
    > flash drive, BTW. All I need to do is authenticate to our
    > Websense, then kill power, and boot my other AV tools, which
    > “assume” web access and have no means of
    > authentication, to get their updates. (Websense will not
    > idle time out on a given IP for about 10 minutes.)  So far I
    have found that (on
    > old machines of course) Knoppix (and variants) are
    > excruciatingly slow on HW detection, Lubuntu isn’t
    > actually very “light…” and Puppy needs me
    > to install a browser, etc.    Larry DiGioia
    > HP
    > Technology ServicesRolls-Royce
    > Energy Systems
    > 105 N. Sandusky St. Mount
    > Vernon, OH 43050
    2 more
    fast boot , has browser
    http://www.slitaz.org/en/get/index.html
    32MB
    http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/cooking/slitaz-cooking.iso
    supposed to boot in ten seconds
    http://xpud.org/download.en.html#tab-1
    http://xpud.googlecode.com/files/xpud-0.9.2.iso 64 MB

    Subject field.

--
Studio - D Productions    l o n g w i r e . c o m

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."

                                    William James