[ncolug] Re: free remote KDE desktops

  • From: "Mike Bell" <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:07:44 -0400

On 8/24/06, Ken Allen <kc8tdw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Free remote KDE desktops over the internet is available at http://www.cosmopod.com. This is great!

Ken Allen

Had a hunch what this was, so I surf over, signup, try and load desktop.
Blah, needs Java.  Which I finally managed to find the right d/l from IBM
for PPC.  Still have to get the plugin setup finished though.

This service is based on NX though.  Not sure if it's freenx or commercial.
They do point you to nomachine to d/l the client if Java isn't installed.

Thats the hitch for me.  Nomachine doesn't offer a PPC (other than OSX)
version.

Probably I should start another thread on this.  Here goes some of it
anyway.  The short version is after 3 + (maybe 4+) of using a PPC machine
I've about reached my end.  The machine is a great piece of hardware and
it'll be hard to part with it.  I've yet to touch a x86 machine (laptop that
is) that suites me as well as this one.  Software is another issue though.
There is way too many big pieces that are either unavailable or simply way
to much effort to deal with.  Atleast Ubuntu has a recent OOo version
available.  Java is buried on IBM's website and it is less that obvious
which will run on PPC.  After much reading I found a link that pointed me to
the right one.  Java on OSX isn't much better.  Typically lagging way behind
and not documented all that well.  So much for the code run anywhere
philosophy.

Anyway previous research has shown that even NX's webclient is dependant on
libs from their client software.  If that is the case that will be a loss
for here.  I'm really curious to see if it works through this service.

Still have freenx running and working here, I just can't utilize it.

Mike