[ncolug] Re: down

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:59:29 -0400

I have watched the whole cable-and-accessories thing develop from the start, which I clearly remember, was the day that Monster Cable was invented (around 1978.) As with many things, a new, real advance in technology (increasing the gauge of the speaker wire) was picked up by other marketers and blown completely out of the realm of reality...

There are now wooden blocks that you place in crucial places on equipment. And don't forget the green magic marker that you were supposed to put on the edge of CD's... I could go on.

Basically, anything that is small enough to hold in your hand, and has an actual cost near zero, can be sold as an equipment enhancement of some kind. Extra points if it is a liquid.

I call the cables and connectors "men's jewelry." I buy some of the connectors, and make my own cables, both speaker and line-level, from economically-priced sources, with the realization that it is "mostly" jewelry. I am not aiming for performance, just durability.

It really gets good when they start applying all those superlatives like "clear," "transparent," and so on to the digital interconnects.

Now it is bleeding over into the computer hobby. Heat sinks, "special" memory chips, and yes, cables, although I will say that in this incarnation, there is less puffery about performance and quality. Most seem more willing to admit that fans with lights on them and cases with clear sides (which incidentally, cause EMI/RFI) are "just because it looks cool."

David Fierbaugh wrote:
What he fails to mention is that it's only true during the 18 hours surrounding the time of the new moon (ie 9 hours before/after). Apparently the difference in gravitational attraction of the moon at that time causes a raised level of neutron leakage from the core which effects the cleanliness of the power generation.

On 6/26/07, *larry* <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    It's a satire on superstitious audiophiles.

    ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"

    --
    It has been proven that video signals are reproduced much more
    clearly when local power comes from coal fired power plants

    Subject field.

--
David Fierbaugh
Facilities Technician - The Dalles, OR

--
It has been proven that video signals are reproduced much more
clearly when local power comes from coal fired power plants
rather than nuclear. So much so that this is even more important than using gold plated connectors on your video cables. Harry

Subject field.