[ncolug] Re: Xubuntu for ToyTime project

  • From: nor thern <zboson2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:47:25 -0700 (PDT)

Henry Keultjes <hbkeultjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Mark Shuttleworth:

Hi Henry - you might want to check out Xubuntu, which uses XFCE and is
thus a much lighter-weight option.

Mark

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu
http://www.xfce.org/

I have done some looking on both sites and the ideas are interesting
enough that i want to look at them further.

Please answer these questions for me:

1.  Does XFCE run on X or is it a light-weight replacement for X?

2.  Is Xubuntu dependent on Gtk?

3.  Is XFCE dependent on Gtk?

4.  Does the dependency on Gtk absolutely preclude the use of Qt and
Qtopia http://www.trolltech.com/  ?

It may not be obvious to some on the list why I keep coming back to Qt
and Qtopia .  Most of you are hackers.  Experimenting with different
software is in your nature.  I am looking for one very lightweight
solution that can be used by thousands and even millions of users.
Because of the postings related to the $100 laptop project, the need for
such a lightweight Linux solution has drawn more attention and I hope
that we can build the ToyTime project on that momentum.  From what I
have looked at for years, lightweight solutions based on Qt and Qtopia
are much more prevelant than Gtk based solution.  Please educate me!

Henry Keultjes
Database Scientifics Project http://www.ncolug.org/ppc.htm
Mansfield Ohio USA
Voice 419-525-1111
Home 419-756-0527

Please note that my business line and cell phone number are the same
419-525-1111 but to
reach me early or late in the day, the home number 419-756-0527 is still
best.

answers to numbered questions
 1 runs on X
 2 http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=12810
 uses GTK2 whenever possible.
 3http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=documentation&lang=en
 uses GTK2.2 or greater.

 made sure David Bayes received Slax CD at meeting. has stripped down KDE
 and hd installer. also allows for easy customized distributions because of
modules
 that can be added to make new iso image.