[ncolug] Re: Wireless

  • From: "Mike Bell" <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:48:03 -0400

On 7/26/06, nor thern <zboson2003@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

*Mike Bell <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx>* wrote:

Finally! The tower is up and we have a decent signal. I have yet to
really try and aim the antenna better. Speed is certainly acceptable.

Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/universe libqcad0
2.0.4.0-1-2ubuntu1 [3074kB]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/universe qcad
2.0.4.0-1-2ubuntu1 [3101kB]
Fetched 6175kB in 1m21s (75.9kB/s)

Mike

great. now i can send you large attachments! just joking , but i do have a
Ruby nutshell pdf 2.4 MB, may 2006 Rails pdf 2MB etc.

My rant was never aimed at you. Perhaps I'm just too old school with mailing lists. Netiquite (sp?) from days probably long gone would have not supported large attachments to lists. My personal inclination is to have a fairly low limit on attachment size regardless of the bandwidth available here. Since there were few comments on the whole matter it'll probably fade away until I'm grumpy again some night :)

Mike

ps  The thunderstorms tonight or me being up on the tower getting the mac
address of the radio has crapped out the wireless.  Still have a connection,
ping losses are typically over 60% and surfing is out of the question.  One
does have to respect the reliability of the dialup in my area.  Atleast it
still works, even if the connection is on 26400.  Blah!