[ncolug] Topics of Toledo

  • From: MrKnisely <mrknisely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:29:39 -0500

Here is a list of topics that the Toledo LUG are considering:

- Linux namespaces (not chroot, you can have a completely seperate root fs for
 every process if you want to)
- Logical Volume Manager
- 802.1q vlan interfaces for putting a server on multiple VLAN's using one NIC
- NIC teaming
- Linux High Availability
- Basics of creating a kernel module
- Automake (was't that mentioned on the list?)
- Intro to (god help us) iptables or better yet, pf (OpenBSD) which don't suck
- SELinux (how to control it, not how to click the box on the Fedora install)
- Exposition of a protocol (HTTP, FTP, SSL/TLS, POP3, SMTP)
- Maybe a taste of systems programming (sockets, low-level file I/O, etc.)
- A walk though the kernel, maybe just one part (VFS, system calls,
processes, etc.)
- A walk through the bootup process: init, rc scripts, etc.  Trace the
flow of control where does the login prompt come from?

Now, I'm not saying that we cover these topics.

What I think would be great for us to put together a learning path.  Let's get
educated.  Lets put together a list of topics that will give us all a solid
foundation on which we can all stand and build upon.

How does this sound to all of you?  What are topics that you think would be
important to cover?  Do you think an LPI type of class would be the way to
proceed?

Mike K.

All functions of our list can be controlled through the web by logging in
at //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

You can also unsubscribe by sending email to
ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field