[ncolug] Re: Sun Sun-ny days

  • From: Jim Willeke <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 05:03:25 -0400

I work with several large (>1,000 Unix/Linux Hosts) companies and the general trend is off of Solaris (and AIX/HP-UX) to Linux.

Usually this is driven by costs.
Both acquisition and support.

One by how poor SUN's ability to provide replacement parts and support vs x86 vendor (HP).

Interestingly, one of the companies has 400+ Sles server instances on their Mainframe.

-jim

fourteagues wrote:
I've been reading and am taking the plunge for Solaris 10, the express up to date version. the DTrace, zoning, and seeing all the moves for opensolaris and openjdk make me think this could be the good monolithic strive open systems need. plus it is supposed to be a good bit faster

Anyone have experience with Sol10? Only because I suppose the X86 port of 10 is actually tier I, and decently supported

any feedback or anti Sun flames are appreciated

Subject field.