[ncolug] Re: Sendmail configuration

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:26:02 -0400

First, you should know that you can't expect to run a mail server without registering a domain name, plus a reverse (pointer) lookup for your IP address that matches your mailserver+domain name. Otherwise, mail from your server will be rejected by any of the "big" domains (AOL, Time Warner, etc.)

The means for individuals to be able to reasonably run their own mail servers are fading away quickly.

Your best bet would be to set yourself up with one of the free, or nearly free, hosting services. You can, for example, register a name and then get an email-only ("parked") account at fatcow.com, for $5 per year. There are even cheaper, or completely free, alternatives.

Deepan wrote:
Hi All,
I am using sendmail via php mail function to send
emails. However few servers reject my mails with
the error 'Sender address rejected: Domain not
found', since mails from my server are sent as
email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx How do I change this
to a valid domain name ? We only own a public IP.
we dont really have a domain name, is it possible
to use IP ? Regards
Deepan
Facebook Sudoku Solver:
http://apps.facebook.com/sudokusolver/ Sudoku Solver: http://www.sudoku-solver.net/ Home Page: http://www.codeshepherd/

Subject field.

--
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him check his email..."
                                   Studio - D

Subject field.