[ncolug] Re: Screensaver: Image vs application

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:47:39 -0400

M. Knisely wrote:

<RANT>
Ok, the image that sits behind your icons on you desktop is NOT you screensaver. A screensaver is an application that runs after a given amount of inactivity who's purpose is to change the pixels on your screen so that an image does not get "burned" into the screen. Images can be rotated on a regular basis by a scrensaver application, but one is not the other.
</RANT>

I have heard this used incorrectly so many time and it just DRIVES ME NUTS! Normally I wouldn't waste the bits of sending this to the LUG, but I just saw it on TV.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Mike K.

<rant>
<# using XML syntax />
The only *real* screensaver is one that turns the screen off when not in use.
Those cute animations do prevent screen "burn in" (which, BTW, isn't as much of a problem with newer CRTs that use "fast" phosphorus - and no problem at all with LCDs...) but they keep the electronics working full-time. Change your configuration to blank the screen after x amount of inactivity and turn the monitor off after 3x... That will save your screen.
</rant>

Chuck

Subject field.