[ncolug] Runaway computer!!!

  • From: "Ken Allen" <kc8tdw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:47:25 -0400

Help, I loaded on my laptop Ubuntu Breezy and it was working great.  I have
upgraded to Drapper and now I have a computer that is running so fast it is
not funny.  It reminds me of trying to
run an old dos program on a newer machine.  I was trying to play a DVD
last night, "The Hunt for Red October", it was done in 20
minutes!
Also, my time on my computer is running very fast.  In that 20 minute time
frame, I jumped over 5 hours!

I have a Compaq R3240US.

Processor, Memory, and Motherboard

  - *Hardware Platform:* PC
  - *Processor:* 2 GHz AMD Athlon
  - *Number of Processors:* 1
  - *RAM:* 512 MB
  - *L2 Cache:* 1 MB

Operating System and Software

  - *Operating System:* Windows XP Home Edition/Ubuntu Drapper

Keyboard and Mouse

  - *Keyboard:* 101-key compatible

Hard Drive

  - *Size:* 60 GB
  - *Manufacturer:* Portable
  - *Type:* IDE

Graphics and Display

  - *Graphics RAM:* 64 MB
  - *Display:* WXGA High-Definition Widescreen
  - *LCD Native Resolution:* 1280-by-800

Ports and Connectivity

  - *Modem:* 56 Kbps
  - *Network Connection:* Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN, 54g
  802.11b/g WLAN with 125m/SpeedBooster Support
  - Cisco 350 Aironet SMA Wireless card

I have also tried at 64 bit version and have the same problem.  Is there
anyway of slowing this down?

Thanks,

Ken Allen