[ncolug] Re: OpenVPN, Samba, question

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 13:23:32 -0400

Sorry... I meant on the client end.  When in Vista, I've had issues with the
OpenVPN GUI 1.0.3.  The VPN comes up but traffic doesn't go across the
tunnel properly.  With the new version they've fixed the issue with having
to start the tunnel as an admin:

"TAP-Win32 adapter can now be opened from non-administrator mode."

You might also see about disabling SMB 2 on the vista box: (instructions
from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950836)

   1. Click *Start*, type regedit in the *Start Search* box, and then press
   ENTER.
   2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
   3. On the *Edit* menu, point to *New*, and then click *DWORD Value*.
   4. Type SMB2, and then press ENTER.
   5. On the *Edit* menu, click *Modify*.
   6. Type 0 (zero), and then click *OK*.
   7. Exit Registry Editor.
   8. Restart the computer.

I ran across needing to do this in a workgroup where they had a new Vista
client and a Win2K Server in a workgroup configuration.

Mike K.