[ncolug] Laptop Reload

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:28:05 -0400

Well, my precious laptop has been reloaded with a fresh copy of Ubuntu 6.06 and here are the highlights:

1: The boot CD for the install did not work. It would boot to the install options; however, both of the installation methods would fail at "Loading." This seems to be a common issues with some laptop modles including mine. There is an alternative install CD specifically for this issue, so I downloaded it and went on. I'll research later, maybe, to figure out the issue... for now I just don't care.

2:  Installation went without issue.

3: Booted up and X failed right away. I installed the fglrx drivers for my AIT card and coppied and Xorg config file from the Internet. I had to create a sym link from the Xorg binary to the /etc/X11 directory. Once that was complete X fired up without issue.

4: Wireless didn't work out of the box, but that's by design. Here's the site with the info to get it going:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1071920&mode=linear
Note, that this DOES NOT use the firmware extracted from the Windows driver, there is a MUCH better version available now. The other firmware had issues with you needing to tell it to not lock onto the last AP's MAC; the FOSS community has written one better.

5: Thunderbird had some issues with brining back in my mail. I copied out my .mozilla-thunderbird directory and moved it back in after the reload. I had issues with the treading creating duplicate messages. Once I cleaned out the offending threads everything seems to be fine.

I'm moving onto loading up apps now. I'll let you all know how the VMware ReactOS and XP installs go next. Of major note there will be the Sonicwall VPN client.

Mike K.

Subject field.