[ncolug] KDE myth #32 - Window Managers

  • From: Henry Keultjes <hbkeultjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NCOLUG <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:07:34 -0400

However . . . if KDE uses KWin by default, that would be the best one to use so here is the real issue.

Both Debian and KDE have a lot more stuff in them than I will ever need. Because we live in a web age, myy approach is to load only what I need. If I need something else I go and get it off the web.

But . . . how do we go about that? Who in this group has the ability to slim both Debian and KDE down?

That brings me back to the question; Why not use DSL and http://www.simplekde.org/ ??

Henry Keultjes
Mansfield OhioUSA

David Fierbaugh wrote:

http://kdemyths.urbanlizard.com/myth/32
Other Projects Myths: I Cannot Use Alternative Window Managers With KDE
Myth    I can not use other window managers in KDE.
Facts

You can use KDE with any window manager. KDE uses KWin by default, but it is possible to replace it.
Since KDE 2, KDE uses the standard NETWM hints for window manager compatibility. Any window manager that supports NETWM can not only be run within KDE, but can do so well.

Among the NETWM compliant window managers are KWin, Metacity, Sawfish, FVWM, IceWM, Enlightenment, Blackbox, Openbox, AfterStep and Interface.

Subject field.