[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Women Create History in JCCI Poll

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 03:39:19 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=73981&d=1&m=12&y=2005

Thursday, 1, December, 2005 (29, Shawwal, 1426)

      Women Create History in JCCI Poll
      Maha Akeel, Arab News

            Lama Al-Sulaiman and Nashwa Taher who created history by getting
elected to the JCCI board in the historic elections.

      JEDDAH, 1 December 2005 - Two women - Lama Al-Sulaiman and Nashwa Taher -
created history yesterday by winning election to the board of directors of the
Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

      In highly surprising and exciting results to the extremely competitive
elections, the Lejeddah group, which included Lama Al-Sulaiman and Nashwa
Taher, swept the 12 seats in the elections. A total of 17 women ran in the
historic elections, but no one expected any of them to win. It was the first
time ever that women were elected to the JCCI board.

      "I'm excited and exhausted," Al-Sulaiman told Arab News. "I'm still in a
shock. I worked hard and went for a win but I also gave myself a leeway so as
not to be disappointed if I didn't win." She hopes that by winning she would be
able to do her part as a businesswoman on the board and help in opening the
door for future participation of women in business.

      Taher, who helps run a group of family companies with interests ranging
from foodstuffs to contracting, said, "This means there is trust (in women).
Professionalism is very important ... And this is my message to Saudi women:
Take your work seriously, without forgetting your role as a mother and wife."

      "We should give them (women) a chance because they have little
representation in society," one male voter had said on Tuesday, adding that he
had voted for four women.

      Taher, 44, attributed her success to the support of both her parents and
husband, as well as her own perseverance.

      The fact that women, who previously were entitled only to vote for the
Jeddah chamber's board, stood as candidates "was also an unique event which
contributed to making this election unusual," said Othman Basaqr, a member of a
task force which assisted the elections committee.

      "This is what everybody seems to be telling me," Al-Sulaiman said when
asked if she felt she had made history.

      Many observers of the elections expected members of the Lejeddah group to
win most of the seats due to their early start and well organized campaign. The
group listed six nominees under the commerce sector and six under the
industrialist sector. They ran on a seven-point platform: Developing Jeddah's
economic environment, supporting small establishments, reviewing and
facilitating government procedures, supporting businesswomen, supporting
Saudization, supporting the chamber's initiatives nationally and
internationally, and developing the chamber administratively and technically.

      The final tally of the votes was: Under commerce sector - Ziyad Al-Bassam
with 1,475 votes, Mohammed Al-Fadhl 1,248, Lama Al-Sulaiman 1,138, Nashwa Taher
1,015, Sami Bahrawi 943 and Abdul Ghani Sabbagh with 920 votes.

      Under the industrialist sector the tally was - Mohammed Jameel with 1,946
votes, Saleh Binladin 1,658, Mazin Batarji 1,389, Abdullah Al-Muallimi 13,48,
Mohyeddin Kamil 1,320 and Saleh Al-Turki with 1,268 votes.

      The Lejeddah group made a statement thanking God for their success, the
voters for their confidence and the team members for their hard work. They also
thanked Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah for providing the
opportunity for the citizens to serve the commercial and industrial sectors.
They thanked Makkah region governor, the minister of commerce and the public
for their support, especially of women, and they reitgerated their commitment
to the country's Islamic values.

      The final tally of the votes was not announced until the early hours of
yesterday morning. Although the counting of the votes was electronically done
except for the last 120, the unprecedentedly large number of voters contributed
to the delay in the announcement which everyone expected to be made by Tuesday
evening.

      Five of the winners are members of the previous board of directors. The
other seven are new to the board. The Ministry of Commerce will appoint six
members to the 18-member board. This election was distinguished in being the
first to include women candidates, to have the largest number of candidates and
attracting the largest number of voters ever.

      Some 21,000 members of the Jeddah chamber, or about half the total
membership, were eligible to take part in the polls. Election officials said
both the turnout and the number of candidates were a record in the chamber's
60-year history.

      In their campaigns, both Al-Sulaiman and Taher vowed to back a center
that assists businesswomen and to help women working from home.

      Victory "means we will have more work ... There's a lot for us to learn,
but I'm sure we will manage," said Al-Sulaiman, who holds a doctorate in
nutrition from King's College in London.

      - With input from agencies

Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cRr2eB/lbOLAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. http://www.ppi-india.org
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi