[nasional_list] [ppiindia] We Can Do It and We Will

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:44:39 +0200

** Mailing List Nasional Indonesia PPI India Forum **

Refleksi: Membaca berita ini apa tanggapan Anda sehubungan dengan hiruk pikuk
overdosis agama yang menimpa wilayah Nusantara?

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=61237&d=29&m=3&y=2005

Tuesday, 29, March, 2005 (18, Safar, 1426)

      We Can Do It and We Will
      Khaled Almaeena, almaeena@xxxxxxxxxxxx

      In Algiers last week I met a foreign correspondent who asked me, "Why?"
To which I replied: Why what?

      "Why does the Arab world lag behind almost every part of the world except
of course sub-Saharan Africa?"

      Good question, I thought. The man was reasonable. I have met him several
times in the past. His question, however, did make me think. The total GDP of
the Arab world is about $500 billion. This amount is less than that of Spain
that was until recently one of the poorest European economies.

      "What is wrong with the Arab world?"

      Many things, I answered. And then I began the litany. First of all the
region has been rocked by wars and conflicts. Israel is another matter
altogether. Its occupation, suppression and oppression of the Palestinians have
caused tension, anger and frustration and will continue to do so. Anger and
frustration, if unaddressed, will produce problems of their own and what is
often worse, their own attempts at solution.

      I quickly added, however, that we Arabs must not use Israel as an excuse
for our failures and shortcomings. We have enough problems that we ourselves
have created and for which the Israelis, guilty as they are of so much, are not
responsible. The takeover of power by colonels and generals, the brutal
suppression of the Arab people by their own dictators, the lack of freedom and
the absence of transparency and accountability have deprived us of the fruits
of success.

      When I read about how so many of these leaders, with their legions of
fawning and parasitic sycophants, have wreaked havoc and caused grief among
their own people, I find the answer to why the Arabs have lagged so far behind.
Add to this the rampant and unchecked corruption and waste, the misuse and
squandering of revenues and you begin to see not only the magnitude of the
problem but also the superhuman efforts that will be required to change the
status quo in most Arab countries.

      My listener then asked, "But why did you allow this to happen? Where was
your media? Why didn't it alert you to what was going on?"

      A deep sigh escaped me.

      Where was the media, I asked myself. I dreaded the answer to the question
that was, I realized, worse than no answer at all. It was silent, I replied. It
overlooked barbaric practices; it did not trouble itself to report brutalities
and crimes against the innocent. I remember when I wrote many years ago, in a
very mild way, about the attack on Halabja. A fellow editor of another paper
rebuked me, saying I was propagating Zionist propaganda. I can only say that
what happened at Halabja was a crime and a grotesquely inhuman one at that; it
was not, blinkered as we are and however much we don't like the truth, Zionist
propaganda.

      I could fill pages with events and other matters that were conveniently
blocked from being written about by the Arab media. Don't ask me the reason; it
is painful to remember our failings and even more painful to have to
acknowledge them. I can say that I do now sincerely think many of these things
belong to the past.

      "Are you optimistic?" he inquired.

      Yes, a Muslim or a Momin (faithful person) has to be optimistic. We can
go ahead if we will only learn from our mistakes, accept differing views, be
tolerant and empower others. In the Arab world there is no lack of talent. What
is lacking is the opportunity to develop and use it. Our young men and women
are intelligent, dedicated and have the will to realize their goals and visions
which will put them on par with their contemporaries in Asia, Europe and the
US. We could become tigers, just like the Asian ones but in order to do so, we
must have the right atmosphere and that means an atmosphere conducive to
progress. And an atmosphere conducive to progress will only be produced by a
civil society free from religious extremism, free from the imposition of only
one view or interpretation and free of intolerance toward all who are different
in any way.

      We must do away with the excessive red tape and bureaucracy that stifles
everything and remove the suspicion that exists in the minds of the public
sector about the role of the private one.

      Look for a minute at the young entrepreneurs in the Arab world. Despite
all the restrictions and obstacles - political, social and economic - they have
managed to brand themselves. Let them flower. Do not snuff the life out of
them. Economic necessities should decide our future and good economics, they
say, make good politics.

      "But can you people do it? Can you carry it off?" he wondered.

      Yes, the resolve is there. We, the young and everyone else want to live
as others do, with the power to control our lives and what we do. The sweeping
winds of change that we are seeing across the Arab world are not the result of
the Bush doctrine. No, they are a part of our strong yearning to live as free
people with dignity and honor, shaping our own destiny and playing a vital role
in the decision-making process. We deserve that just as all human beings do.
And if these things are done, I told him, review our GDP again. You are sure to
see a world of difference.

'Thanks & Giving.'
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mGEjbB/5WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.org
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
6. kembali menerima email: ppiindia-normal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Website resmi http://www.ppi-india.uni.cc **