[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Finding a banned bone, Japan again blocks U.S. beef imports

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:52:20 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com **      Finding a banned bone, Japan
again blocks U.S. beef imports
      By Vikas Bajaj The New York Times

      FRIDAY, JANUARY 20, 2006

      NEW YORK Barely a month after it eased a two-year ban on American beef
imports, the Japanese government again closed the door to the U.S. cattle
industry Friday after a prohibited backbone was found in a shipment from a New
York meatpacker.

      The move by Japan, once the largest overseas markets for American beef,
sent the federal government and producers scrambling to reassure its trading
partner of the safety of American meat and commitment to correct errors.

      While stressing that the cattle parts posed no health dangers, the
Department of Agriculture said it would sending inspectors to Japan, increase
surprise visits to plants here and monitor every beef shipment to Japan.

      "While this is not a food safety issue, this is an unacceptable failure
on our part to meet the requirements of our agreement with Japan," Michael
Johanns, the secretary for agriculture, said in a statement.

      "We take this matter seriously, recognizing the importance of our beef
export market, and we are acting swiftly and firmly."

      A country that prides itself on having the most stringent food safety
standards in the world, Japan stopped importing American beef late in 2003
after the discovery of mad cow disease in a dairy cow in Washington.

      The cattle industry estimates that the Japanese ban cost it more than
$3.1 billion in lost sales and lower prices in the last two years.

      More than 60 countries restricted American and Canadian beef imports in
2003 and about 40 of them still had bans in place as of early December,
according to officials.

      In recent weeks, American beef has started to reappear at restaurants and
supermarkets in Japan, but consumer suspicion of American beef remains high -
three-quarters of respondents to one poll in Japan said last month they were
unwilling to eat it.

      The producer, Atlantic Veal and Lamb, characterized the shipment as an
"honest mistake" in a statement.

      It said the piece of veal it shipped came from animals less than four and
a half months old and had never tested positive for mad cow disease, the
frequently used name for bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

      "We are absolutely confident that he product is safe," the company said.
"However, we regret that there was a misinterpretation of the export
requirements and an honest mistake involving a very small amount of product
that has led to this degree of concern."

      In early December, Japan said it would accept cattle that are younger
than 21 months, since testing has found that animals that age do not contract
the disease.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx