[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Bolivia's Evo Morales, voted by the people and blessed by ancient gods

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 02:32:37 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://english.pravda.ru/world/20/91/368/16776_Morales.html

      Bolivia's Evo Morales, voted by the people and blessed by ancient gods

      01/23/2006 11:11

      The country's first indigenous leader has taken part in an ancient
religious ceremony ahead of his official inauguration

      The new president of Bolivia, Evo Morales, vowed to put an end to
colonialism, fight imperialism and liberate indigenous communities of the
Americas, during the celebrations for his inauguration that took place during
the weekend in the capital La Paz and the ancient sacred site of Tiwanaku.
"After 500 years of colonialism and oppression, we, the indigenous people of
Bolivia, showed to the world that we were capable to seize power," said the
first indigenous leader of South America's poorest nation in 180 years of
independent history.

      Ahead of his official inauguration as the new president of Bolivia on
Sunday, Morales took part of an ancient ritual where himself an Aymara Indian
was blessed by an Aymara priest in a colourful ceremony that gathered 25,000
supporters at the 'gate of the sun' in the pre-Inca ruins of Tiwanaku near Lake
Titicaca. There, Morales arrived dressed in a bright red tunic worn only by
pre-Inca priests, thanked the Pachamama - Mother Earth - by pouring liquor,
coca leaves and food into the soil and received the blessing of the ancient
gods that are still popular among indigenous Bolivians.

      Blessed Morales promised to seek "equality and justice" for poor
Bolivians and vowed to re-write country's constitution this year. "The native
people demand that we found Bolivia over again, and for that we will set up an
assembly on Aug. 6 to change the constitution," Morales said to the crows from
the ruins of the 1,000-year-old sacred site.

      "Today, thanks to the Pachamama, the consciousness of  the Bolivian
people won the elections and that will change hour history of suffering and
exploitation," said Morales, as his supporters replied with chants in Aymara
and Spanish. Making use of his habitual moderate style, Evo, as Bolivians
called him, said that his people - the Aymara - was not rancorous and that he
will govern "for the benefit of all the Bolivians."

      Representatives from indigenous communities from Latin America and the US
celebrated Morales' ceremony as offered him symbolic gifts. The leader of the
Guatemalan Mayas gave Morales a bag where his community preserves the popol
vuh, the ancient book of the empire disappeared even before the Spanish
conquest.

      From there, Morales moved to the town of Tiwanaku, where he could taste a
peace of the 10 meters long cake made of quinua, a popular crop grown by locals
in the Bolivian highlands. "We want to show the world that Bolivia is not only
a gas-rich country, but also a producer of nutritive crops as the quinua," told
Pravda.Ru, Mari Carrasco, the leader of Mothers for the Change association.

      The official celebrations

      As the religious ceremony finished, La Paz, the breathtaking capital of
Bolivia some 4,000 meters above the level of sea, was preparing to receive
leaders from Latin America, Spain and, Slovenia as well as delegations from the
fourth corners of the world. In the historical heart of the city, a gem of
Spanish colonial architecture, the official inauguration took place at the
Congress and the Palacio Quemado, the presidential palace still marked by the
bullets of the popular uprising that ousted conservative leader Gonzalo Sanchez
de Lozada in October 2003.

      Among the Latin American leaders present in the ceremony were the
president of Venezuela and Morales' close ally, Hugo Chavez, and the heads of
state of Brazil and Argentina. Another relevant visit was the presence of the
outgoing president of Chile, Ricardo Lagos, as both countries have no bilateral
ties since the Pacific War in the late 1880s. In that conflict, the Chileans
defeated Bolivia and Peru and took possession of all the Bolivian coastline,
leaving the country landlocked.

      Morales paid tribute to his ancestors and notable fighters "for the
liberation of Bolivia" as Tupac Amaru and the Argentine revolutionary Ernesto
Che Guevara, who died in Bolivian territory in 1967. In a relevant section of
his two hours statement, Morales vowed to cooperate with the United States in
the fight against cocaine and narcotraffick "without pressures and securing the
normal development of the coca growers." "We say no to cocaine, but yes to
coca," said the indigenous leader who jumped to the political scenario as the
leaders of the coca growers. The coca leave is a traditional consumption in
Bolivia, Peru and the northern provinces of Chile and Argentina for its
medicinal and nutritive characteristics.

      Voices from Bolivia

      Miners, workers, clerks, farmers and indigenous communities, arrived in
La Paz to take part of the celebration, which included the performance of
popular artists in San Francisco square, where no less than 80 Bolivians were
shot during the 2003 protests.

      Some of them talked to Pravda.Ru in La Paz. "This is the first time that
one of us will be president. I hope he could end with the corruption of the
whites," says Juan Mamani a 45-year-old farmer from Cochabamba, the hometwon of
Morales, who speaks better ayamara than Spanish.

      "We are the excluded and opressed, but we came here to celebrate because
we are looking for changes for our poorest people," says Efrain Condori, a
miner from the exhausted silver basin of Potosi. "Evo's inauguration is like
the 1952's Popular Revolution but it will lead to deepen changes for our
indigenous people," he remarks.

      "This is the first time that we will live in democracy in 503 years of
history," celebrates Roberto Aguilar, an aymara farmer from the coca region of
Pacages. "We are all moved, specially by the Tiwanaku cermony because that is
how our ancestrians taught to do."

      For Wilfredo, a 55-year-old financial advisor, Evo's victory was possible
by the consciousness of the urban middle-class. "Oligarchs lost power since the
middle-class realized that they were corrupted," he says in reference to the
administrations of Sanchez de Lozada and his predecessors.

      From Sucre, the former educational center of the Spanish colonies in the
eighteen century, arrived Marta, a 56 year-old teacher. "I hope Evo will
fulfill his obligations as leader of the country. He must be honest, as our old
proverb says: "Ama Ma'pa."

      Everybody in La Paz repeats what Morales has been saying since he became
a national political figure: "Don't steal, don't lie and don't be lazy." If Evo
puts in practice this proverb, Bolivians believe that they could enter in a new
era, after 500 years of exploitation.

      Morales and the indigenous issue

      On Friday, the leaders of the indigenous communities of the Americas
gathered in La Paz to celebrate Evo's victory as praised to rise their demands
to global forums. Representatives of Brazil, Argentina, Guatemala, Honduras,
Nicaragua, Colombia, Uruguay, Ecuador, Venezuela and the US, elected Morales as
the leader of all the native peoples of the Americas and vowed to rise his
candidature for the 2006 Nobel Prize.

      "The indigenous issue has to be debated in all international forums
because if we do not resolve the indigenous question in Latin America first,
our countries will have no future at all," said Morales at the closing session
of the forum. "We want peace with social justice and dignify politics. The
indigenous movement is the moral reserve of the world," he concluded.

      La Paz
      Bolivia

      Discuss this article on Pravda.Ru English Forum

      Hernan Etchaleco

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx