[nasional_list] [ppiindia] 'Asylum seekers' accuse Indonesian Govt of genocide

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 04:14:39 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200601/s1550626.htm

'Asylum seekers' accuse Indonesian Govt of genocide

The group of Papuans who arrived on Queensland's Cape York yesterday have
accused the Indonesian Government of genocide.

They were spotted by a coastwatch patrol near the Mapoon Aboriginal Community
north of Weipa about 2:00pm AEST yesterday.

The group of 30 Papuan men, six women and seven children displayed a banner on
their 25-metre canoe, asking for help to save West Papua.

The Immigration Department says it cannot confirm if the group has sought
asylum.

The Federal Government says the group are being held in immigration detention.

Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone says arrangements are being made to move
and process them.

"If they are going to make an asylum claim, we'll hear the asylum claim," she
said.

Torres Strait Island journalist Damian Baker took photographs of the arrival
and he says the asylum seekers' message was clear.

He says there was a banner calling for the West Papuans to be freed from
genocide at the hands of the Indonesian Government.

"The banner said 'Save West Papua people soul from genocide, intimidation and
terrorists from military government of Indonesian - also, we West Papua need
freedom, peace love and justice in our homeland.'

Mr Baker says the group appeared to be in good health.

"They seemed pretty healthy and in good nick," he said.

Greens Senator Kerry Nettle says the group made a treacherous journey, from a
country where they are facing persecution from the Indonesian military.

She says the Papuans helped Australians during World War II and the favour
should be returned.

"These are people who are clear members of an independence movement, they are
people who are fleeing persecution and they are people who should be treated
with dignity and respect," she said.

"It is the same Papuans who assisted Australian diggers during World War II -
we have a debt to our near neighbours in Papua like we have the same debt to
those in East Timor."

Pamela Curr from the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre says there is no doubt that
the Papuans are seeking asylum.

"These are the children of community leaders who have either been persecuted
imprisoned or disappeared," she said.

She is concerned they will be moved to Christmas or Manus island detention
centres for processing.

"We're asking that that not happen," she said.

Ms Curr says the group can be assessed in Australia where they can take
advantage of community and church groups' assistance.

It took searchers less than three hours to contact the group of 43 people after
they were found by a Customs helicopter near the Mapoon Aboriginal community.

Their 25-metre craft had earlier been spotted near Cullen Point, north of
Weipa.

The area where the group was found has been quarantined to allow preliminary
health checks to be conducted.

The Greens have called on the Federal Government to grant bridging visas to the
asylum seekers.

Greens Senator Kerry Nettle says there has been increasing hostility in West
Papua towards independence activists.

      Print  Email

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi